Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp photosmart all in one C7 180
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi again,   I  have to  reinstall  the printer every time  I   want to print something  which is OK it only takes  a couple of minutes, but  I tried to scan  a couple of photographs   to my laptop  and I a getting the big question mark  and   its  telling me to refer to documentation to troubleshoot   and the same   when I try to scan to   an SD  memory card   in the past  it  wouldn't scan to  a couple of my cards   but  it did scan to  others  now it won't scan to any ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@niloc

Appreciate your efforts and time.

Let us try restarting the spooler services and then try the uninstallation.

Reset your printing environment, delete print job files manually, and then restart both the computer and the printer.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Services.

3. In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop.

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.

4. After the service stops, close the Services window.

5. In Windows, search for and open C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files in the PRINTERS folder.

7. Shut down your computer.

8. Connect the printer power cord to the power outlet, and then turn on the printer.

Once done, follow the steps on my previous post to uninstall the printer drivers.

Keep me posted.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@niloc, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I would need some more details:

1) How is the printer connected to your PC?

2) Is there any error message when you try to print/scan?

3) Have you tried printing/scanning from a different PC?

4) Are you able to make copies on the printer?

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi  and thanks for your reply It's a wireless  connection  and  I can print docs and pics from my   laptop  to my printer  OK,  it's just the  scan to pc or memory card  that is  bringing  up the " refer to the documentation to troubleshoot "  notice  on the printer display, But I have  read the manual  and  it does not help me, I have tried  several  sd  cards  that  work perfectly in my camera, but each one  says memory card error,  

HP Recommended

@niloc,

Try using these alternate methods of scanning:

• Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon  , and then click From scanner or camera.

• Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

on fax and scan, it doesn't appear to be seeing the scanner, also  on paint  the  " from camera or a scanner" option is greyed out,  I can't take  a  snip shot  the info  disappears  when I select my snipping tool,  I have  tried  connecting  an ethernet cable it  doesn't make any difference, I also  ran  through scan and print    the scan   worked as it should    but  wouldn't print  !  it   kept saying   place paper  in tray ?  but  it   printed a test page from  my  laptop   on the first command very odd indeed no scanners detected.PNG

HP Recommended

@niloc

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1)In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Once the uninstallation is complete, you can download and install the latest software from here.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, update I'm afraid I couldn't even get past the first hurdle.   In your item ( 1)   there are  a few   HP  entries  is it just the one I have highlighted  I need to remove ?. itemdriver software.PNG (9)   I could not remove printer drivers!  see attachments.    

I tried an older printer   C5100  (which I removed but  keeps popping back up)  and I got the same results Re scanning as I  am getting on my C7180,  I also  have  another  HP laptop   that I have tried   and  exactly the same thing is happening, I am beginning to think   that my printer has  come to its  end,   it has been a good faithful  printer and  will look to replace it with  another   budget-priced HP,  can you  tell me which  current models  are available in the UK  with  similar properties ie   scan to pc and   SD  cards      many thanks c5..PNGc5.PNGc7 ..PNGc7.PNGC5 100.jpg   

HP Recommended

@niloc

Appreciate your efforts and time.

Let us try restarting the spooler services and then try the uninstallation.

Reset your printing environment, delete print job files manually, and then restart both the computer and the printer.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Services.

3. In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop.

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.

4. After the service stops, close the Services window.

5. In Windows, search for and open C:Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files in the PRINTERS folder.

7. Shut down your computer.

8. Connect the printer power cord to the power outlet, and then turn on the printer.

Once done, follow the steps on my previous post to uninstall the printer drivers.

Keep me posted.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks  for your help  I'm very busy this weekend   but  I will try again   on Monday    again thanks 

HP Recommended

@niloc,

Take your time and keep me posted.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.