Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The tri-colour set up printer cartridge for my brand new hp envy 5020 does not work - the message says use SETUP cartridges that came with your computer. I purchased at the same time as a relative the same printer and have tried using the SETUP cartridge from his computer but no joy. Hoping that there is a way of overcoming this problem or I will need to buy another new printer without even using this one once.

DD251

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @dd251,

Any printer is shipped with a Setup cartridge in the box, which is used to initialize the printer for the first time.

As soon as you complete the printer initialization, the supplied cartridges becomes as trade cartridges and can no longer be used to setup another printer.

From reading your notes, I understand that you use Setup cartridges from another printer of the same model? Please clarify if I may misunderstood your intention, you cannot use such cartridges if these have already been used to setup another printer.

Assuming I’m correct, haven’t you given Setup cartridges in the new printer’s box? You must use these specific cartridges.

Please let me know if that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Much appreciate your response to my query.

The reason I tried to use the set up cartridge from another printer is that a relative and I each bought the same model printer from the same store at the same time.

Regretfully in our haste to set up his printer he suggested that not only the "tabbed" protection tape needed to be removed but also the "tape" underneath. Unfortunately we realised our mistake too late and damaged the top section of the set up printer cartridge. Thought that this would not be a problem as we did not realise at the time that this was a setup cartridge as have never required a set up cartridge for a printer before and assumed that a normal hp cartridge would work. 

The shop assistant informed us that there was not a lot of ink in the cartridge with the printer anyway so we had purchased more ink.

You live and learn, but hoping now that either I can purchase a set up cartridge or that there is a way of "by-passing" the need for the set up cartridge as otherwise it is a rather expensive mistake.

Thank you again for your response

Best wishes

dd251

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.