Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP widepage MFP 477dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - 

We have a HP widepage MFP 477dw and it has been great until a couple of days ago when the computer installed an update.

The computer has Windows 10 (64 bit).  Two computers print to this printer.  Only one of those computers has tried to print from it because we haven't been using the other computer, so all of the problems listed below are from that computer.  

After the computer update, it would not allow this printer to be selected as the default printer and it wouldn't allow you to select the printer on the print page in the 'print to' section.  At that time we were getting floating messages that said 'splwow64 crashed'  and 'WM1 Provider Host crashed'    

I ran the HP print doctor (possibly under a different name?) and the first thing it tried to print did not work, but it was able to print a test page.  It said there was an undiagnosed problem with the printer.  (I will do these things again if you need better details.  Sorry I didn't take good notes at the time.)

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall the print driver and printer and cleared out the print spool.  These were done to the best of my ability, so it is possible I may have made a mistake.  These efforts did help a little.  We can now name the printer as the default printer, but we still get the 'splwow64 crashed' message.  Haven't seen the 'WM1 Provider Host crashed'

message.

Thanks so much.  HP has great customer service and I have used Print Doctor scan several times with success.  

Thanks

Mary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start menu click the Gear icon and then on Update & Security.

Click Check for Update Now and install any available updates, then restart your computer and check for updates once again.

Microsoft has released an update to resolve this yesterday evening, installing any latest updates should resolve a such,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start menu click the Gear icon and then on Update & Security.

Click Check for Update Now and install any available updates, then restart your computer and check for updates once again.

Microsoft has released an update to resolve this yesterday evening, installing any latest updates should resolve a such,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

This problem has been fixed in build version 1903 of Windows.

Still checking on other build versions, ie 1809/1803

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

@8lives, it should be fixed in 1903 with KB4517389, in 1809 with KB4519338 and in 1803 with KB4520008.

Me too, still waiting for confirmation from multiple users.

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL, thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in my response.  Yes, this did work - they also had to change the port.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Mary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.