Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my printer has decided to stop working the driver is there and everything i cant communicate no matter how many times i turn it off and on

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I really need help with this i need to print stuff today its working from the mobile app on android but not pc, i cant use the mobile app it doesnt give me enough options, ive tried all the trouble shooting steps and switched everything off and on it doesnt work. During set up the installer detects it but then cant comunicate with it

HP Recommended

Ivenow insttaled it via usb but i cant convert it to wi fi it doesnt detect the SSID

HP Recommended

@jimos87,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post that you are having issues installing the printer over the network. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Let's try to do a factory reset on the printer. In order to do a factory reset: On the printer control panel - Click on Setup - Scroll down to Tools - Under Tools - Scroll down to Restore factory defaults. Click on Yes to restore the printer to the factory defaults.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to do a network power drain on the printer: Follow the steps below: 

Turn off all the devices connected on your network including the PC, Smartphones, printer, modem (if present) and router. Make sure all the devices in the network are turned off / unplugged.

Wait for 2-3 minutes.

Now turn on the modem if present. Wait till all the lights are steady and idle.

Then turn on the router. Again wait for a couple of minutes so that the lights are all steady.

Then turn on the PC and other devices.

Connect to the wireless network

Use the built-in Wireless Setup Wizard to set up your printer on your wireless network.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

The Wireless Summary screen displays.

3. Touch the Settings icon , and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

A list of wireless networks displays.

4. Touch the name of your wireless network.

If the list does not contain your network name, scroll down, then touch Enter New Network Name to type it in manually.

5. If prompted, type the WEP or WPA key using the on-screen keyboard. Make sure you type the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.

6. Touch Done, and then touch OK.

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/54... to download and install the software.

In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it doesnt work because it will not go past installing network device it knows the printer is on and it shows up on screen it just wont connect

HP Recommended

@jimos87,

Thank you for replying,

As you have mentioned in your previous post that you are able to print from your mobile device, however having issues while printing from your PC.

In this scenario, this looks like an issue with the PC.

Have you ensured that your PC is up to date, If not, please go ahead and perform Windows update: HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 8, 7)

If the PC is up to date and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to create a new user account and then install the printer.

First go ahead and uninstall the printer, restart the computer and then Create a new user account.

Once done, restart the computer and then login to the new user account and then Install the printer software.

Follow the steps here to create a local account on your PC: Create a local user or administrator account in Windows       

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The pc has had a major hardware upgrade of new motherboard CPU and GPU and is up to date, the printer is deteted during set up but it just wont communicate, i've tried via wi fi and powerline which is what i used to use but now its stopped working.

HP Recommended

@jimos87,

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

I suggest you Create a new local user or administrator account in Windows 10 using this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc... 

Then, try installing the drivers and check how it goes!

Keep me posted,

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Didn't work still wont connect or install the device , I really need to print from desktop the mobile app doesnt have enough options

HP Recommended

@jimos87,

Thanks for the reply,

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.