Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 3180
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Just installed new HP Ink Cartridges. When I print a Test Page, it prints only black part.  When I print a document with colored text, it end up with a blank paper. I do have choice to choose between print with color or black& white, but it doesn't help. This happened after I install high Sierra on my MacBookPro. Help! Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kuo

You are welcome! 

Power resetting the printer, performing an automated and manual cartridge cleaning may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Clean the ink cartridges, refer to step  3 from this document.

5) Plug the power cord back into the printer

6) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

7) Use steps 2 from this document to perform an automated cartridge cleaning.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Kuo

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I got to know from your post that the printer will not print in color and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you able to copy documents in color?

How is the printer connected USB or Wireless?

Could you also print a  self-test report and let me know if it has color in it. In order to print the report:

1.) Press and hold the Cancel () button and then press the Start Copy Color () button.

2.) Release both buttons. The self-test report prints.

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help!! Here are the detail on the problem:

1.I can’t print neither test page or document in color

2. The printer connect to computer through USB

3. As I print self-test report, I can see color blue only. (see below)

ca46bb96-2e20-46e7-a0a2-9fa15f8336f3.jpg

HP Recommended

@Kuo

You are welcome! 

Power resetting the printer, performing an automated and manual cartridge cleaning may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Clean the ink cartridges, refer to step  3 from this document.

5) Plug the power cord back into the printer

6) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

7) Use steps 2 from this document to perform an automated cartridge cleaning.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hallo, thank you for the suggestions.

Both test page and cleaning page are only in black.

When I print document in color, it only print in black and slightly blue color. Anything elese I can do? Thank you!

HP Recommended

hallo, good news!!

After 5-6 times of Printhead cleaning, I finally saw the color!!!!!! it took forever to make it happen! But everything is fine now and thank you very much for your help!!

HP Recommended

@Kuo

You are welcome 🙂

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.