Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 8620 all in one

I bought new ink back in early December and it worked for a while in my printer. Then it stopped and it said the printhead appears to be missing , not detected, or incorrectly installed. So I comlained to the seller on Amazon where I got the ink from and they gave me new ink. Using both of those ink cartridges didn't work. I can't print anything out. My business relies on this printer. So does anyone know how to fix this? There is plenty of ink in them. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@postalservices

Welcome to the HP Support Community

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridge?

Any hardware change made in the printer?

Let's follow the below solution that could resolve the issue.

Solution one: Reset the printer

Follow these steps to reset the printing mechanism.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

• If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Solution two: Reseat the printhead

Follow these steps to reseat the printhead.

NOTE: 

You do not need to remove the printhead from the carriage.

Step 1: Unseat the printhead

1. Slip your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull forward to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the left side of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

1. Slot on the left side of the printer

2. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer. Unplugging the printer prevents the carriage from moving.

WARNING: 

You must disconnect the power cord before reaching inside the printer to avoid risk of injuries or electric shock.

3. Lift the carriage latch.

Figure : Lift the carriage latch

Image: Lift the carriage latch.
  4. Grasp the sides of the printhead, and then slightly lift the printhead without fully removing it from the carriage.

Figure : Slightly lift the printhead

Image: Slightly lift the printhead.

Step 2: Reseat the printhead, and then lower the carriage latch

1. Reinsert the printhead into the carriage to reseat it. As you guide the printhead into the carriage, it settles into the carriage as it seats.

Figure : Reseat the printhead

Image: Reseat the printhead.
  2. Gently rock the printhead to the left and right to make sure that the printhead fully seats in the carriage.

3. Lower the carriage latch.

Figure : Lower the carriage latch

Image: Lower the carriage latch.
  4. Make sure that the carriage latch is down.

Figure : Carriage latch positions

1. Carriage latch is up

2. Carriage latch is down

5. Close the ink cartridge access door.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

• If these steps resolved the issue, there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the issue persists, see the next step.

Step 3: Reseat the printhead up to three times

Sometimes error messages persist after inserting the printhead. To clear any error messages, reseat the printhead by repeating all steps in this solution up to three times.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The ink isn't Hp and no hardware change. I tried those steps and still no results.

HP Recommended

@postalservices

I suggest you use genuine HP ink cartridge for best print quality and for good life on the printhead.

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

This solution worked for the error message " printhead appears to be missing, not detected or  incorrectly installed Oxc19a0002"

HP Recommended

I can't find "Still need help." Is that because my warranty has expired?

HP Recommended

@DVCDad That is entirely possible, perhaps, you could tell me what you've done so far, and if I can help you in anyway, please include the product model name:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everything that I read about past successes including powering off & on, disconnecting the print head & re-seating it...multiple times. I purchased it in 2011 or 2012. The printer is a valuable asset for the various volunteer work I do. So I simply decided to purchase new. I'm now using an Officejet Pro 9015. Thanks for your response.

HP Recommended

@DVCDad I'm glad you got that sorted, I wish you good luck ahead,

Let us know if you need anything else.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.