Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

After the most recent driver update, my printer always flips on the short side, no matter what I tell it in either the print utility or the printer preferences. Help!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@LeslieL I suggest you reinstall the printer drivers using the HP recommended steps mentioned below:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution:
Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck. I completely removed the printer and reinstalled it, as instructed. I have tried printing from the app (Google Docs and MS Word) and using the printer dialogue, telling it to flip on the short side and on the long side. No luck. 

HP Recommended

@LeslieL Please respond with the complete model name of the printer for further assistance, as it all depends on which printer you have and what OS is being used as mentioned earlier 🙂

Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution:
Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Envy 4520

HP Recommended

Only my laptop (HP Pavilion) has this problem. My husband's Asus laptop prints just fine.

HP Recommended

@LeslieL I recommend using the steps mentioned in this article to resolve any issues with the settings on your device that could be causing this malfunction: click here and go through this article for a solution, also, please check if it works on the HP Smart App: click here for details.

If nothing works, click here for steps on installing a windows built-in drivers instead of the current printer drivers, (please follow the steps from my first post to remove the drivers before using this link to download the windows built-in drivers on your device) - Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is working now. There was a Windows 10 update recently that may have fixed it. 

HP Recommended

@LeslieL That's awesome, however, if you ever have any issues, the steps from my previous post, will help resolve the issue once and for all.

So, please bookmark that link for future reference 🙂

And If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your time. I will bookmark your response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.