Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6700 Premium

Suddenly unable to print. Initially said the MacBook Pro couldn't find the printer, so unloaded and reloaded the printer software. Managed to print one item. A few days later it says 'Print config is incorrect' and gives the above error code. Printer can print fine on its own, just not from the MBP. Have tried the advice given to another user from the community - remove ink cartridges, take out plug at back of printer, unplug at mains, wait 60 secs or more, then replug, insert cartridges etc and still not printing.

It now says 'printing has paused' do you want to resume, I say 'yes' but then says' Print config is incorrect or printer no longer exists'.

Any help appreciated please.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Kimina, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following-

What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried using the AirPrint drivers? If no, follow the steps below-

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, I'll try this tonight when back from work. Haven't got Airprnt drivers as printer just over a year or so old.

How do I find out what operating system I'm using pls?

Thanks,

Kim.

HP Recommended

@Kimina

Thanks for replying!

From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose About This Mac.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks. Have spent over an hour downloading the Easy Start and Startscan  that seems to have worked, but it wouldn't print a test page and no error msg why not. I double click on the Firmware updater  in downloads and get asked if I want to scan, save, eject or burn it??  In HP Firmware Updates it shows the device discovery tab but the timer circle just keeps going round and nothing happens! Have restarted the Mac in case that helped....

OS is High Sierra, and trying to print photos from provided Mac software  or any document from emails to help pages all to no avail.

Slowly climbing the walls...... !!

HP Recommended

Have now re-started the Mac and carried out your instructions for Removing Printer. Removed both HP's listed - one shown as printer, the other as fax (when it's one machine and never used to separate them?). Now when I try to 'add a printer' back in, it show the original HP Officejet and no AirPrint option under the Use box, it's just empty.

I need to rest my aching head now and get a glass of wine (it's Saturday evening here after all!).

I'll follow any new instructions you may have tomorrow.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello, any thoughts on how I get around these problems and get a working printer again please? I recall you saying you were getting other advice and would come back to me ...

Many thanks.

HP Recommended

Btw - have re-checked, and both the printer updates and Mac Updates are current (incl the HP printer software update 5.1). When I go to add in a  printer, it states 'no printers avail' - while my HP is sitting next to the Mac, no printers at all are listed now - not even the Officejet 6700 Premium that it used to be connected to (although on and working). and one printer I have. AirPrint nowhere to be seen!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Kimina

• What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for the message.

The distance is about 10ft vertically (router in hall, Mac and printer are in office above).

No anti virus software unless what it came with but didn't think you needed it with Mac?

Tried the ping test - 'cannot resolve - unknown host'. Was able to print the email address for printer to confirm what I had entered.

Sorry I don't understand how to get the 'option' to press and hold? I have clicked on the wifi icon, and used the command but it doesn't take a screen shot and no camera icon appears.

The router provider says it is able to forward Bonjour packets but suggested I talk to Apple to get it set up!

Thanks,

Kim.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.