Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp 7520 series
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I changed wireless and the message boujour malfrunction appears and the preview is blank.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@arlyce

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

Bonjour is Apple's version of the Zero Configuration Networking standard, its a set of protocols that allows communication between network-connected devices.

Resetting the printer network settings, reconnecting the printer back to the network and adding compatible driver may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) Unplug your modem/router and leave it powered off.

2.) Restart your printer, from the printer control panel, touch "Setup". Touch 'Network Setup", touch "Restore Network Settings".

3.) Power off your printer

4.) Reconnect your modem/router and wait for it to re-establish its internet connection.

5.) Power on your printer.

6.) From the Wireless menu on the printer, touch Settings. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Once the printer is connected, use the following steps to remove the existing printer driver and add a compatible driver:

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Let me know  how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you so much Senan6806--quite a few steps but it worked! was able to connect to both officejet 6958 & envy 5540. this was very frustrating & apple support communities hadn't helped, neither had downloading drivers from hp.  something about the latest mac update a few weeks ago messed up the printers.

HP Recommended

I am on HI Sierra and have an hP8600 printer.  I was having trouble printing after upgrading my wifi to Rogers Ignite.  I deleted the printer and when I tried to re install it I got the bonjour malfunction message.  

What should I do?

HP Recommended

Hi @Gord111

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the MAC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

If the router is able to forward Bonjour packets, try restarting the network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Try connecting the printer to the network again. 

On the printer, go to Setup > Network > Restore network defaults

Go back to Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard.

Install the printer using AirPrint driver

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Both the iMac and printer are on 2.6g

i can print from my MacBook and phone

i cannot upgrade the iMac OS further.  It was printing on this is before.

HP Recommended

@Gord111

Did you try the steps mentioned in my previous post?

Try resetting the network settings on the printer and reconnecting it to the wireless network.

You need not upgrade the macOS but update it. There might be software updates available for the macOS you are using.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes

I tried all the steps including resetting the printer system.  I also noticed an hp printer update was installed automatically on the 30th.  Not sure what fixed it but is working now.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Gord111

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I tried to print again and the computer could not communicate with the printer.  Had to turn printer on and off and the redo network setup to get it to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.