Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

why is my officejet 8660 only supporting 951 z20 cartridges now if I have only lived in the USA

Officejet Pro 8600 N911g
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Why does my Officejet 8600 printer only recognize 951 z20 cartridges when I purchased it in the USA and have only lived in the USA?  What do I do with the z10 cartridges that I purchased via Amazon?  How do I find z20 cartridges here in the USA?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
32,880 26,258 2,396 8,240
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

why is my officejet 8660 only supporting 951 z20 cartridges now if I have only lived in the USA

At the beginning of the year HP introduced regionalization to the 950/951 cartridges.  The printer will lock itself to the first regionalized cartridge used in the printer.   If you are in the US or Canada the proper cartridge will the -Z10.  I have seen many cases where cartridges ordered from Amazon are -Z20, which would lock the printer to the European region.  If later (and proper) Z10 cartridges are installed they will be rejected.

If your printer has been locked to the wrong region you will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my OfficeJet Pro 8600. I checked my printer settings and they are Z20 even though I have only lived in the USA. The first cartridge I replaced was from Amazon and both the box and cartridge say they are Z10. I have tried contacting support and setup a case to dispute the warranty on the accessories. Their response was: "You have reached the warranty department, for assistance with your HP product please contact technical support." Since my printer is out of warranty, I can only access the forum to troubleshoot. Is there a way to change the zone yourself? Or is there a phone number to call where you might reach someone who cares? 

Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
32,880 26,258 2,396 8,240
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@rx7_driver - the regionalization reset procedure is restricted to a limited number of agents, it cannot be done without the active support of HP.  I will ask to have your case escalated.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"----------V

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation