Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8710
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After good service for a couple years, our HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 has quit printing.  Have done the hard reboot several times.  When print command given from any of our devices, you can hear an audible click at the printer, but on the printer screen the "circle of death" appears with the word "Printing..." below it, and it just stays there circling forever until you manually cancel the print job at the printer.  Also - won't make copies, with the same result, except the words below the circle of death are "Copying page 1/1..."  Did printer maintenance, "Clean Printhead", and it successfully printed a test sheet, but otherwise it makes lots of noises but won't print.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Klingbob

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists using a different wall outlet, partially lift the scanner lid, and then press the Copy button or icon. If the scanner light does not illuminate or move across the glass, it could be a hardware issue.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Klingbob

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Reset the printer to clear certain error states, and then check the power source to make sure the printer is getting enough power to operate the copier.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer, disconnect the power cord from the power source, and then wait 30 seconds.

2. If you are using a power strip or multi-plug adapter, connect the cord directly to a wall outlet to ensure the printer is getting enough power.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the printer, and then try making a copy.

• If the issue persists, connect the printer to a different wall outlet to determine if the original outlet is causing the issue.

• If the issue persists using a different wall outlet, partially lift the scanner lid, and then press the Copy button or icon. If the scanner light does not illuminate or move across the glass, it could be a hardware issue.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team regarding this as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay sure, keep us posted 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.