Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
jet ink advantage 4535
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Has anyone else had the problem of your printer only printing certain colors and not others?  Is this a printer problem or a bad ink cartridge - which as we know are horribly expensive to replace.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ReontheROad

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand your HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 4535 printer is not printing certain colors and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

How is the print quality when you copy document?

How is the printer connected, USB or wireless?

Could you also print a Print Quality Diagnostic report and let me know the results. In order to print the report:

1.) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2.) Touch Tools.

3.) Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is connected wirelessly to my MacBook Air.  

The print quality for a document, if I use color, is basically green and blue, so the quality is terrible! - even a black and white document is not great.

I have printed out the Print Quality Diagnostic 3 times and all three times there is no magenta/red - at all - printing.

ReAnn

HP Recommended

@ReontheROad

Thanks! Power resetting the printer, performing an automated and manual cartridge cleaning may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Clean the electrical contacts, refer to step 3 from this document.

5) Plug the power cord back into the printer

6) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

7) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

😎 Touch Tools.

9) Swipe up on the display, and then touch Clean Page Smears.

10) On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.

11) Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges. Click Yes when prompted to perform the next level of cleaning.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good Morning  Senan 6806-

I unplugged my printer from the surge protector and plugged it into a wall socket. I then  I exactly followed all of the instructions you sent for cleaning my cartridges and contact points.  I then went through the cleaning smears, and all the other cleaning steps and....I still have no magenta on the Print Quality Diagnostics (both regular and advanced.)  

So what is the next step?  I just hate the idea of replacing a brand new, expensive color cartridge with another, as I am guessing its a bad cartridge.  Or is it the printer, which is still under warranty?

Thank you.

ReAnn 

HP Recommended

@ReontheROad

It's unfortunate that those steps failed to resolve the print quality issue. I'm afraid, its a possible printhead failure. Please call HP Support to obtain all available repair/replacement options. To call HP Support:

1) Click on this link.

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thanks!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everything you said, still no magenta.  I went to paint and drew a red filled box which printed yellow.  i just bought this new ink. This is crazy. Help!!!

HP Recommended

@RVed, Welcome to HP Support Community!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.