Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Envy 5640

Hello,

How often does my printer connect to the internet to transmit my print data to the HP Instant Ink service? And how much data would be sent at that time?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @nniicckkss, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you would like to know the internet connection frequency using instant ink.

Also, I understand your concern and situation you are into. So don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Unless the printer is connected to the internet the instant ink service will not work.

However, you can turn it off your printer for some time that should not be an issue.

Please find the instant ink requirements below.

A printer with an active Internet connection: The printer must be set up on a wired or wireless network and Web Services must be turned on. This connection is required so that HP Instant Ink can securely monitor your printer’s ink status. A daily connection between your printer and the Internet is not required, but HP recommends that you allow your printer to remain connected as often as possible. After your printer has been disconnected for a few days, you receive reminders to connect. If you fail to connect, eventually your HP Instant Ink cartridges stop printing.

NOTE:

A USB cable connection does not provide the required Internet access for HP Instant Ink.

• An email address: A valid email address (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) is required to sign up for the HP Instant Ink service.

• A valid credit or debit card: A list of accepted credit and debit cards displays when you sign up for the HP Instant Ink service.

Refer this article to know more information about instant ink enrollment. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the response, but it's not quite what I'm looking for...

My printer is connected to a live internet connection 24/7, and I've been subscribed to Instant Ink for some time now. No complaints...

With that in mind, how often does the printer transmit my print data to the server (every 5 mins, immediately after printing, every other day, once a week at half past midnight....), is there a set time it sends my usage data?

And roughly what is the size of the data package transmitted each time (few kB, couple of mb, 300gb...)?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@nniicckkss, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you needed to know the internet connection frequency and data usage on instant ink.

I'm sorry and we don't have that detailed information. But you can refer the article below to know more information about HP Instant Ink Terms of Service.

In order to be able to use the Service in an uninterrupted manner, Your printer must be connected to the Internet; such Internet service is not provided by HP and must be separately obtained and paid for by You. Please check with Your Internet provider for information on possible Internet data usage charges and any other applicable charges. You are responsible for obtaining and maintaining, at Your sole expense, all equipment and services needed to access and use the Service. If Your printer is not connected to the Internet, then the Instant Ink-activated Cartridges will be disabled and You will not be able to use them to print; however, You will continue to be charged for the Service as described in Section 12. 

Refer this article to know more information about HP Instant Ink Terms of Service. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.