05-13-2016 04:22 AM
Downloaded and upgraded existing database with latest version of JetAdmin. I haven’t done anything different from the years that I have been using it!
I did a network discovery of IP address ranges, made changes to Asset numbers and Device Locations. Added devices to Data Collection groups (I go and Select all, new devices get added, existing/non-compatible devices will just come up with an error – no problem!)
However, this time something seems to have gone wrong…. We have several models of non-HP printer on the network, HPWJA is still useful as it lists them and we can connect to them and open a browser window. We have a few models of Zebra printers connected, and it seems that a couple of the “new” models ZTC100 wristband and GK420t label printers stopped working and refused to print. On the advice of a network bod, we used "Portqry" to check the ports of the printers. It came up as "NOT LISTENING". We managed to get the printers working again by going around to each printer and doing a hard reset.
Has anyone else come across this problem? At the moment we have JetAdmin disabled just in case. We also have 105SL printers, and they seem to be uneffected by this.
05-13-2016 05:14 AM
I don't know the answer.
All that I can surmise is that the interrogatory requests, sent (via SNMP?) to the target devices, are in a format that the firmware of some printers is not expecting, and that it crashes the firmware.
This is similar to the effect on some printers (including LaserJet devices) where the printer displays an error (usually a 49.xx error) and refuses to come to ready, on receipt of certain 'rogue' print jobs or interrogatory requests; the resolution in these cases is usually a printer firmware update, to prevent the crash on receiving unexpected data.
05-13-2016 07:18 AM
Thanks for your reply
That's what I was thinking. However, it was never a problem before I installed the upgrade. I'm suprised that LaserJet had this problem, you would think that HP software would be tested with HP printers. Other manufactors - not so much!
I've also contacted Zebra, since it's their printers (already fitted with their latest firmware), I was just wondering if any body else had similar problems,
05-14-2016 07:02 AM
>> ... I'm suprised that LaserJet had this problem, you would think that HP software would be tested with HP printers ...
I'm not claiming that WebJetAdmin causes firmware crashes on LaserJet printers (although it may perhaps have done so on occasions - I don't know).
All I'm saying is that, sometimes, firmware on printers can crash because it has received data in a format which it was not expecting.
This may be because the data is indeed malformed (i.e. does not conform to published standards), or it may be something that is valid, but much more modern than that expected by an older device.
Of course, in an ideal world, firmware (or any other program, come to that) should not crash if it encounters data in an unexpected format - it should report an error and terminate the print job/request gracefully - but we all know that this does not always happen!