Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8720

I am attempting to scan my documents to Google Drive using the Print Apps feature on my connected printer. I have not been able to update the list of print apps in order to do so. I was able to this last week, but now I am blocked form doing so.

1. I don't understand why I have to update the list of print apps every time I want to use them. It is absurd that this is required and should be optional.
  2. For the last dozen or so times I have tried to update the list of apps, I get a message that says "The print apps on this printer could not be updated. Please try again later."
  3. Your connected apps, in general, are clunky, awkward, and poorly implemented. A company as huge as HP should give some serious thought to hiring a user interface expert. I should not have to jump through so many hoops just to be able to scan to Google Drive EVERY TIME. So many unnecessary steps and clicks.

What do I have to do to get this working?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Gunderstorm

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you want to update the Print apps. I would like to help you with this. 

• HP Printables and HP Printables mobile app retired on October 31, 2016.
  • That is the reason you are unable to update the apps.
  • Click here and refer the document.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20, this is not an issue with a MOBILE app. This is an issue with the Print Apps that are installed on the printer itself.

Steps to replicate:

1. From the OfficeJet Pro 8720 touchscreen, click Apps
  2. You are presented with only one option: Update Print Apps
  3. Click Update Print Apps
  4. Dialog: "Would you like to update the list of print apps on this printer?"
    "Note: new versions of these print apps, if available, will also be installed."
    The options are Cancel or OK.
    I would prefer "No", but I click OK.
  5. A spinner appears with the message "Updating Print Apps"
  6. After a few seconds, I get the message that says "Update Unsuccessful." and the aforementioned "Try again later"
  7. Trying again later yields the same result

Is my machine connected to the internet? Yes.

Do I have proof that the connection is working? Yes, I have scanned using the web interface with success.

Aside from that, I don't know what information I can give that will help you diagnose my issue.

HP Recommended

@Gunderstorm

Thanks for the reply.

The document link which I provided also talks about printer apps.

Click here and check the step 4 in the document.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay @sandytechy20, I followed the following steps listed here regarding the Google Drive icon:

1. Signed up for HP Connected
  2. Entered the claim code
  3. My printer appeared in my devices
  4. Clicked the Printer Apps tab
  5. Located the Google Drive icon and clicked it
  6. In the pop-up, it shows my printer listed "Your current printer: HP Officejet Pro 8720"
  7. The only option available is to remove Google Drive from my apps
  8. I restarted my printer and followed the same steps to update my printer apps, and I get the same "Try again" message.
HP Recommended

@Gunderstorm

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.