Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

In our organization, we have 12 HP printers configured with proximity card readers to facilitate secure pull printing. Recently, two HP Color LaserJet FlowMFP M681 printers had their firmware updated to version 4.9.0.1. This update may not have been the cause of the change in behavior, but recently both of these printers started having their proximity card readers fail. I've yet to find a pattern, but almost daily each will have its card reader stop registering swipes for Secure Pull printing (the secure pull components remain installed on the printer). 

I want to try to rollback the firmware version, but don't see a download from the printers' software page at support.HP.com. Can someone suggest where I might find older firmware versions for this model printer? 

Of course, if someone can suggest another fix for the proximity card reader problem, I welcome any.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on the HPAC admin' guide, I turned "Auto Off After Sleep" to off:

NOTE: When devices with FS4 Firmware go into deep sleep (1-watt sleep mode), power is turned ot to the USB ports. There is a chance the USB ports (and card readers) will not reconnect when power is back on. Devices with FS4 firmware include an option in the device EWS > General tab > Energy Settings > Sleep Settings for "Auto Ot After Sleep". It is recommended that this option be disabled on any device that has a USB card reader attached, in order to prevent them from trying to go into deep sleep (1-watt mode).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Based on the HPAC admin' guide, I turned "Auto Off After Sleep" to off:

NOTE: When devices with FS4 Firmware go into deep sleep (1-watt sleep mode), power is turned ot to the USB ports. There is a chance the USB ports (and card readers) will not reconnect when power is back on. Devices with FS4 firmware include an option in the device EWS > General tab > Energy Settings > Sleep Settings for "Auto Ot After Sleep". It is recommended that this option be disabled on any device that has a USB card reader attached, in order to prevent them from trying to go into deep sleep (1-watt mode).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.