Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hey there - I am having the exact same issue as you. Just set up my new 8720 yesterday. Every time I restart or wake up the printer, it loses all the print apps and I have to update again.

Did you have any luck getting this fixed?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Shimstu

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that your HP Officejet 8720 printer losses app. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Are you talking about the HP Printables app?
  • If not what app is the printer loosing?
  • Did you do any hardware or software changes?

Meanwhile:

Perform a hard reset on the printer.

• Remove the power cable from the printer when it is turned on.
  • Press and hold the power button for 30secs.
  • Connect the power cable to the printer and directly to the wall outlet.
  • Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware.

Click here and refer the document to update the firmware.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. Thank you for the response. I have not updated any hardware or software  - this printer is brand new to me. I am not using HP Printables, I am using the Print Apps menu from the home screen, like Google Drive and Dropbox. When I start up the printer, I get this -

Update Print Apps

After I update the apps, I get this screen: 

Print Apps menu

When I restart the printer, I lose these apps again, and get the screen telling me to update.

I did the hard reset as you described. Nothing has changed. 

My firmware is totally updated.

I'm not sure what to do next!

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Shimstu

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Update the firmware on the printer to fix this issue,

Click here and refer the document to update the firmware.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for responding. but as I said, I believe i have the most updated firmware available for this printer. 

it's 

Firmware Version WMP1CN1716AR

HP Recommended

@Shimstu

Thanks for the response.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your Profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

I have sent the required information in private message.

Cheers

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same issue as detailed here.  My firmware is up to date and I am still unable to access Google Drive through my Apps screen because it will not update.

HP Recommended

@CDRNWX

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP OfficeJet 8720 Printer. I understand that the print apps are not updated and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

As you have already tried these steps and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.