Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
deskjet ink advantage 2545
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 64-bit laptop running Windows 10. It has 12mb memory and a 2T hard drive with plenty of space. Because I live so far out in the country the internet signal is not very strong and the only way to pick up the signal is to use my iphone as a router. Even with that, it only finds a signal in one corner of my house. I have my printer located within three feet of the iphone, so that should not be a problem. I hope you can help because I'm to the point of either shooting this printer or throwing it in the firepit and roasting marshmallows over it. When it works, it works great. But it goes offline 2 or 3 times per month for no apparent reason. I haven't changed anything on my system and have not added new software. About 98% of the time I am printing a Word document so nothing fancy or exotic. I have searched the internet and have tried every suggestion I can find and nothing works. It will only connect to the network when I use a USB cable. If I have to use a USB cable, that means I have to move my computer to the room where my printer is located and then move it back to my desk when I'm finished printing. I need to have it connect wirelessly. When I try to connect wirelessly, it tells me the printer is already on the network and asks if I want it to remain on that network. If I say Yes, it then says it doesn't find the printer. So it's calling itself a liar because it just said it was already there. If I say No I don't want it on that network, then it tells me it doesn't find the printer. I have tried deleting the Printer and Help using the Control Panel and reinstalling it using the 106mb file called DJ2540_188.exe that I downloaded from the HP website. It took five hours to download because I have a slow internet connection. I clicked on it to install and asks permission to make changes to my computer and I say Yes. It says it's extracting and then nothing else happens. I assume it has been installed because the Basic Device Software shows up in the Control Panel but the printer will still not install. I have run the Print and Scan Doctor any number of times and it doesn't resolve anything. The last time I ran it, it said the software was not installed and wanted to download it. It was the same file (DJ2540_188.exe) that I've installed any number of times before. But I tried letting the Print and Scan Doctor download it but the download has failed twice. So I've wasted three hours with that. In the past when I finally get it to install, I have written down every step that I've gone through because I know it will happen again. However, when it does happen again, the steps that worked the last time doesn't work this time and I have to reinvent the wheel every time. Is there any tried and true way to get this edited* thing to work? Every time! Those marshmallows are sounding better all the time.

edited

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally solved this problem on my own.  I've spent over a week trying to get my Ink Advantage 2545 printer to connect to my network wirelessly.   It loses connection a couple of times a month and it takes from hours to days to get it to reconnect to the network.  This time was the worst.  I tried every suggestion that I found on the internet, including the ones suggested here.  Nothing worked.

Finally today, out of desperation, I went into Regedit.  Yes, I know this is recommended only as a last resort and I was to that point.  I removed every reference to this printer out of the registry file.  I am extra careful any time I touch the registry file because I know I could end up with a boat anchor.  I made a Windows Repair CD and copied three backup copies of registry files on another CD, just in case.  I started on this at 10am and finished it at 8:45pm.  That registry file is HUGE and there were a lot of references.  I'm exhausted. 

You cannot imagine the sigh of relief when I restarted the laptop and it started.  I tried a few applications and they all seemed to work but I had no internet connection.  It's always something, isn't it?  Sometime during this long day the router had gone offline.  I think my ISP turns off your connection if it is idle for a certain amount of time.  I say that because it happens regularly, for no apparent reason, and I have to turn the iphone off and then back on for it to reconnect to the signal.

When I got the internet to function again, turned the printer on, went into the control panel/printers and devices and added a new printer,  It took less than two minutes for it to find and add the printer and print a test page.  I've printed a couple of pages from a Word document since then and those print fine too.

I can't believe what a hassle this has been and the extent that I had to go to, to get it fixed.  I hope others find a better, easier way of doing this.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@CaroleCR, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Using a Hotspot connection(iPhone) for printer connectivity is not recommended as it has intermittent connectivity issues. It would be better if you use the wireless router or check with your internet service provider to increase the signal strength.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver/network issues

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and and click on 'Fix printing'.

You may use WiFi Direct option to print wirelessly from the printer. However, while you are using WiFi Direct, you will not be able to access the internet on the PC. You will have to switch back to the wireless network on the PC.

To know how to connect the PC and the printer using WiFi Direct, refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have run Print and Scan Doctor so many times that I could do it in my sleep.  No help and no resolution.  

I've tried to delete the print driver so I can start from scratch but the message says the driver is in use.  I don't know where to go from there.

I've talked to the ISP about the poor signal and they told me to move into town where the signal is better. I'm only 10 miles out of town.  The little wireless router they gave me does not find a signal at all at my house.  they told me they don't have any other models, that I have the best one and they are out of stock so they can't replace it. 

So the only way I can get an internet connection is to use my iphone as a hotspot. 

And I'd be glad to move, if you'll buy my house.  Or connect me with someone who will.  It's a beautiful house, right on the beach.  🙂

HP Recommended

I finally solved this problem on my own.  I've spent over a week trying to get my Ink Advantage 2545 printer to connect to my network wirelessly.   It loses connection a couple of times a month and it takes from hours to days to get it to reconnect to the network.  This time was the worst.  I tried every suggestion that I found on the internet, including the ones suggested here.  Nothing worked.

Finally today, out of desperation, I went into Regedit.  Yes, I know this is recommended only as a last resort and I was to that point.  I removed every reference to this printer out of the registry file.  I am extra careful any time I touch the registry file because I know I could end up with a boat anchor.  I made a Windows Repair CD and copied three backup copies of registry files on another CD, just in case.  I started on this at 10am and finished it at 8:45pm.  That registry file is HUGE and there were a lot of references.  I'm exhausted. 

You cannot imagine the sigh of relief when I restarted the laptop and it started.  I tried a few applications and they all seemed to work but I had no internet connection.  It's always something, isn't it?  Sometime during this long day the router had gone offline.  I think my ISP turns off your connection if it is idle for a certain amount of time.  I say that because it happens regularly, for no apparent reason, and I have to turn the iphone off and then back on for it to reconnect to the signal.

When I got the internet to function again, turned the printer on, went into the control panel/printers and devices and added a new printer,  It took less than two minutes for it to find and add the printer and print a test page.  I've printed a couple of pages from a Word document since then and those print fine too.

I can't believe what a hassle this has been and the extent that I had to go to, to get it fixed.  I hope others find a better, easier way of doing this.  

HP Recommended

@CaroleCR

Thanks for keeping us posted

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.