Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have received the above error when installing new cartridges on my printer. I no longer have the boxes as I work on a ship and we can't keep cardboard on board for pest control. The printer was bought in the USA and the cartridges from Office Depot in Florida. I am currently in Barbados.

Any suggestions to assist? Latest firmware installed and restarted printer several times with and without toner cartridges in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure your cartridges are the right ones for your printer. 

The ID/memory chip is located on the right end of the cartridge. It's about 1/4" square/rectangular in size with two small gold contacts on top. 

To swap out the chip, you simply remove it from the cartridge by sliding it out of the slot it's mounted in. There might be a dab of glue or melted plastic holding it in. Carefully remove the glue or the small melted plastic at one end with needle nose pliers. Once the chip is reinstalled, a small dab of glue should hold it.

Here's a link to a video that shows the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZ8iJqWgh8

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What is the exact model of printer you have, and what are the part numbers of the toner cartridges?

If the cartridges are not the correct ones for the printer, there is no fix or work around. It's also possible that the cartridges were not programmed with the correct memory chip. You might be able to pull off the memory chips off the old cartridges and put them on the new ones, but sometimes that doesn't work either.

HP Recommended

The printer is a Laserjet Pro MFP M227dw and toner cartridges are numbered 201A CF402A.

How does one swop out the memory chips without damaging the cartridge?

HP Recommended

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure your cartridges are the right ones for your printer. 

The ID/memory chip is located on the right end of the cartridge. It's about 1/4" square/rectangular in size with two small gold contacts on top. 

To swap out the chip, you simply remove it from the cartridge by sliding it out of the slot it's mounted in. There might be a dab of glue or melted plastic holding it in. Carefully remove the glue or the small melted plastic at one end with needle nose pliers. Once the chip is reinstalled, a small dab of glue should hold it.

Here's a link to a video that shows the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZ8iJqWgh8

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you for this, This has helped. The cartridges still read as low but the printer is accepting them and printing is working.

HP Recommended

Awesome! Yes, they will read low because they think they are on the other cartridges. No way to reset them unfortunately. But, they got you up and running for now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.