2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

5500dn Tray 1 Jam

5500dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Paper Tray 1 (manual tray) jams half way through the print cycle. It seems to have a metal lift bar that continues to lift throughout the print process every couple of seconds. Before this issue I know that the bar only lifted a couple of times in the print cycle, once to start the lift the paper and then again half way through.

Is this a dirty or faulty sensor, or a gear out of sync. This all happened after a network issue sent multiple commands to the printer and printed a ream of paper of nothing but garbage.  Since then the manual tray will not print without jaming. Tray 2 will print fine no issue.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 11
Level 11
2,998 2,993 345 444
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

5500dn Tray 1 Jam

Sticky solenoid, you should disassemble tray 1 pickup mech. and you will notice solenoid that gets sticky.

View my profile on LinkedIn
Level 11
Level 11
3,561 3,547 353 740
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

5500dn Tray 1 Jam

The solenoid should be on the right side of the printer. I suggest you go to feedroller.com and buy a service manual for a couple of bucks. Do the tray 2 solenoid while you are at it as it is likely aged and getting ready to fail as well.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
EntropyCapital
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

5500dn Tray 1 Jam

Removed and cleaned the solenoid. Found a YouTube video that helped with the disassembly. Solutions works great.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation