Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 400 M401n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The printer that we use is throwing off a 79 service error code.  I have turned the printer off and on, unplugged the power cord and ethernet cable.  I updated the firmware all to no avail.  We are currently on a network with seven computers connected to the printer.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
If you power cycle the printer with the network cable disconnected does it go to a ready state?

If it does then one of the PCs is probably sending a corrupt job to the printer.

Since there's only 7 PCs you can go ahead and check the print queues on them and clear-out any pending jobs.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hi Nicole8       ,

do you still face the 79 service error problem in the printer.

HP Recommended

I'm getting this error on our Laserjet 200 M251nw - we've restarted the printer and cleared all the print queues in our house so it's not a specific document. The printer starts up, waits about 15 seconds, and then we receive this error and it restarts. How do we resolve it?

HP Recommended

I had a 79 service error yesterday on a HP Laserjet Pro M501dn. The printer sometimes booted to that error straight away. Some other times it was booting to ready state and as soon as you were plugging the usb cable, it was giving the same error again. Also, sometimes it was booting to "ready to download". So what I did:

1) Downloaded the latest firmware

2) NVRAM initialization

The problem finally fixed only when I replaced the formatter.

I put this information here and maybe it will be useful to someone.

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on a Laserjet Pro 200 MFP.

Its caught in a bootloop, and i tried the NVRAM initialization, which i think i did right, but to no avail. Can't get to main menu to update firmware.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The issue is caused by the "WS Discovery" service which causes the printer to be overwhelmed with incoming network traffic responses and produces 79 error or won't print via the network.  The solution is to turn off the "WS Discovery" which can only be done through the HP WebJet software.

Cheers!

HP-Printer.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I'm facing the same issue on my Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277 dw.

Tried CousinDave's solution but that didn't help.

HP Recommended

Forgot to say that the error occurs only when trying scan to a remote storage. 

That worked fine some days ago.  No changes have been made since.

HP Recommended

Does anyone have an example of the 'incomming network responses' are that produce the 79 error when ws-discovery is enabled? A packet capture dump from wireshark with highlighted traffice would be appreciated.    As we use a number of tools to manage our print fleet, I would prefer to turn ws-discovery back on.    

A link to a detailed description of this behavior would also be appreciated.  I need to make a recomendation to our Network team.

Thank you.

Marc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.