Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M28w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

I have a Windows 10 PC (Tower) with a Laser Printer connected and would like to use the USB method and WiFi to be able to print to this printer.

The reason is that via the PC using the USB is easier as otherwise you have to have a Wifi card connected to your PC. My PC does not have enough USB connections that are usable to use the USB Wifi connection dongle that I have. I tried to get an USB PCI expansion  card and it did not work as it was too short. Because I dont have a PCIe (Express)  slot availbale I had to get a normal PCI card and they are very difficult to get hold of.

I want to use the wifi on the printer to print from our mobile phones directly to the printer I using Print Direct which has worked really well before I attached the printer as a USB device to my PC and not using the USB wifi dongle.

Any suggestions or help would be helpful.

Thanks  

Raymond

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RaymondTBrave, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Yes, this setup can be done. You may connect the printer and the PC using a USB cable and connect the printer to your phone wirelessly to print.

Kindly refer to this document to know how to connect the printer to your wireless network using the WPS method.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your phone.

You will have to use the printer driver to print from your PC that can be downloaded from here. Connect the USB cable only when the software prompts you to.

More details on USB setup to the PC, refer to - USB Printer Setup (Windows).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RaymondTBrave, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Yes, this setup can be done. You may connect the printer and the PC using a USB cable and connect the printer to your phone wirelessly to print.

Kindly refer to this document to know how to connect the printer to your wireless network using the WPS method.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your phone.

You will have to use the printer driver to print from your PC that can be downloaded from here. Connect the USB cable only when the software prompts you to.

More details on USB setup to the PC, refer to - USB Printer Setup (Windows).

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for all that. I did just that yesterday and did not get around to updating this issue.

Raymond 

HP Recommended

@RaymondTBrave

Keep us posted for any other assistance. Happy to help.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.