Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP M553dn

After updating our macs to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra, printing random result is white page with message:

ERROR: undefinedresult

OFFENDING COMMAND: show  (or sometimes "xshow")

M553 has latest firmware upgrade. Printer is networked via Airport Extreme capsule and has been rebooted. Macos preferences printer drivers have been reinitialized.

THANK YOU FOR HELP (really needed)

270 REPLIES 270
HP Recommended

Me too.

In fact I can print out Excel spreadsheets fine, but not word.docx or pdf files.

Driver update needed?

Don;t think it is a network problem, I have my M553 connected by USB and have tried to follow reinstal of software. Hp site says OSx 10. something and 'newer' shoud work.

But it isn't.

Also an urgent request please

HP Recommended

Same issue here with an HP OfficeJet Color MFP x585 using latest printer drivers from HP Version 19.13.

Outlook v15.39, macOS Preview also wont work.

But I was able to print a PDF with Adobe Acrobat DC instead of using Preview or PDF expert.

It seems to be a problem with PostScript. As I installed an additional printer connection with PCL driver connected to the same x585 printer, I was able to print a page.

Regards,

Oliver

HP Recommended
Thank you Oliver. I think my issue is Office 2011. It's not supported on High Sierra. I'm upgrading to Office Pro 265. I'll get back later.
HP Recommended

@O-H-T wrote:

Same issue here with an HP OfficeJet Color MFP x585 using latest printer drivers from HP Version 19.13.

Outlook v15.39, macOS Preview also wont work.

But I was able to print a PDF with Adobe Acrobat DC instead of using Preview or PDF expert.

It seems to be a problem with PostScript. As I installed an additional printer connection with PCL driver connected to the same x585 printer, I was able to print a page.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Printing is very erratic on my side. I've tried the PCL driver too which doesn't have the problem but prints in tones of grey only.

Apple issued an update yesterday to the HP printers, which doesn't change the problem for me, although I erased all the printers folder, restarted withpout the drivers then reinstalled the printers.

Hope they get this fixed very quickly, I have more than 12 macs here waiting to upgrade until a fix is out.

mark

HP Recommended

Hi Mark,

I've also tried the new printer drivers update from Apple.

Also no success.

I cannot update to latest beta version, because this is my productive MacBookPro. Test hardware is not available at the moment.

I will try to run two VM with Paralles from scratch to test a macOS 10.13 and 10.13.1beta4 to investigate macOS printer environment.

Oliver

HP Recommended

@rjv33 wrote:
Thank you Oliver. I think my issue is Office 2011. It's not supported on High Sierra. I'm upgrading to Office Pro 265. I'll get back later.

Im using Office 2016 (v15.39) which won't solve the issue. Also other applications are affected like macOS Preview, PDF Expert others are working like TextWrangler (prints text only) or Adobe Acrobat DC.

HP Recommended

Tests with macOS 10.13 and macOS 10.13.1 Beta 5 failed also using HP x585 printer.

Both systems were installed from scratch. Only hp printer driver was installed and a PDF which previously results also the xshow error.

I have also done a second test with my private printer HP OfficeJet Pro 8620. I’ve used the drivers provided by HP Easy Setup tool, too. The drivers have different versions - which is normal because of the different functionalities.

My MacBook Pro was able to print using OfficeJet Pro 8620.

Oliver

HP Recommended

Same issue. Reinstalling drivers hasn't worked. Oddly, one faculty member can print everything except for pdfs viewed through Preview, but all other Macs running High Sierra are getting the error.

Any solutions to this issue yet?

HP Recommended

removed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.