Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for your post 🙂

In the German Forum, we had a test document, that was posted. And it printed finde with your sollution. Great.

BUT

I have a test mail, that still won't print 😞

Any other experiences???

CORECTION: NOW IT PRINTS FINE. IS THIS THE SOULTION? 

HP Recommended

Okay, sometimes your the fix (s. a.) is working. Sometimes it isn't 😞 

HP Recommended

Okay, sometimes the fix (s. a.) is working. Sometimes it isn't 😞 

HP Recommended

I have the same issues with a HP LJ 1320 and a HP LJ 500 color, on a completely Microsoft-free system, only printing PDFs exported from Apple Pages.

What I found (in a lengthy discussion over at the German HP forum, with the help and information from many users there): what makes the difference for the PDF to be printable or not on 10.13 is where the PDF was generated.

Starting with the same Pages document on the same machine, I exported it twice. Once back in August, when I still had 10.12 installed. A second time last week, on 10.13. You can download these two identically looking PDFs here (it's a device manual I wrote myself, and it is publicily available anyway, so no problem to distribute it).

Now when I try to print those two PDFs from a 10.13 machine:

• the PDF generated on 10.12 always prints fine, on three different HP printers I have access to.
  • the PDF generated on 10.13 always fails with the undefined/xshow/memoryfull errror message, on the same three printers.

This could already be confirmed by some users in the German forum.

My current conclusion is that something in the way 10.13 generates PDFs (or intermediate print data when directly printing from an application) has changed such that HP postscript printer drivers now generate PostScript code  likely to exhaust memory in the printer.

However, that likelyhood of failure is influenced by a lot of other factors, like complexitiy of the document itself, fonts used, fonts missing and auto-substituted by Adobe MM generic fonts, and apparently even use of diacritical marks (äöüöè...) as recently found in the German forum thread. But I believe all these factors are not directly related to the issue itself - these are just things that add to the memory requirements in the printer, and overshadow the real underlying issue.

My hope is that the two PDFs can help nailing down the real issue - I also posted them as part of a Apple developer bug report (radar). This is starting to look bad for Apple - "10.13 broke my printing" - so even if it might technically be a HP issue, Apple might have interest to get it fixed (any maybe has ways to put some pressure on HP...)

HP Recommended

@My1320 wrote:

I also have this problem. I have a new iMac High Sierra (10.13.2), using Office 365 (Word 15.41). Only documents containing Calibri cause the error printing to my ancient, wonderful HP1320n (duplex) laser printer; driver was installed by my iMac on discovery. If I print the documents from my old 10.4.11—don't ask!— iMac using MSWord 2004 (11.6.1), there is no problem.

Searching my new iMac for Calibri and examining FontBook gives nil result. Calibri is provided as a default  font within Office 365 (So is Office failing to appropriately send the font to the printer?). The point at which the download of docs to the printer stalls is consistent with occurrence of Calibri.

So I downloaded a bunch of MS fonts from Apple StackExchange <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/128091/where-can-i-find-default-microsoft-fonts-calibri-ca...> and installed Calibri and Cambria, following the instructions there. Restarting the iMac was essential.

PROBLEM FIXED! (so far…)
Apparently some people on this thread are seeing other issues. Thanks to those who highlighted the Calibri aspect of this. I hope this helps some of you. Good luck to others.

Paul

Seems like you are right that it is confined to the Calibri font. When I changed to font to something else like Arial, it is able to print. So did you install this font and overwrite the original Calibri already installed on your iMac?

HP Recommended

I'm not entirely convinced that this is related to fonts. We've had a few of documents that contained images and Calibri. Changing the font to something else would allow a successful print. However, removing the image (and leaving the font as Calibri) would also allow a successful print.

HP Recommended

I have macos High Sierra, HP CM4540, cable network, last FW of printer, PDF file what makes these xshow, undefinedresult errors. I was trying to find best solution for that. Problem starts after instaling HP Printer Software Update 5.1. Could not find any working solution to use dedicated HP driver from 5.1 update. Could not find solution how to downgrade to 5.0 too. The most stable way is to use Airprint or Secure Airprint. In some cases these are not stable too but i can print that specific  PDF without any issues.  So i believe issues is not with High Sierra itself. It looks like an issue with last HP universal driver in HP Printer Software Update 5.1 . 

HP Recommended

cklamsgp wrote: "So did you install this font and overwrite the original Calibri already installed on your iMac?"

Calibri was not installed on my new iMac in a way that can be found. Calibri comes with MS Office as a default font, but doesn't appear in FontBook and a search will not find it. So I installed Calibri and Cambria, as I indicated, and restarted the iMac for the installation to take effect.

I don't know whether anyone who already had Calibri installed, and then installed MS Office has suffered the problem.

Currently it appears that 10.13 is not playing ball with Office. As others have noted, exactly the same doc will print from other environments. And this is a problem not only with M553dn, but other postscript printers like the ancient 1320n. I have observed the printing progress of several documents, and each reliably fail at a particular download point, different for each document that appears related to where Calibri has been used.

Regards, Paul

HP Recommended

@My1320 wrote:

cklamsgp wrote: "So did you install this font and overwrite the original Calibri already installed on your iMac?"

Calibri was not installed on my new iMac in a way that can be found. Calibri comes with MS Office as a default font, but doesn't appear in FontBook and a search will not find it. So I installed Calibri and Cambria, as I indicated, and restarted the iMac for the installation to take effect.

I don't know whether anyone who already had Calibri installed, and then installed MS Office has suffered the problem.

Currently it appears that 10.13 is not playing ball with Office. As others have noted, exactly the same doc will print from other environments. And this is a problem not only with M553dn, but other postscript printers like the ancient 1320n. I have observed the printing progress of several documents, and each reliably fail at a particular download point, different for each document that appears related to where Calibri has been used.

Regards, Paul

Yes I did overwrite it. There was warning about overwriting but I went ahead. Unfortunately it didn't help. Have you tried changing font to something else other than Calibri? Seems to work for me.

HP Recommended

P.S. And yes, I do have the HP Printer Update 5.1 installed on the new iMac; its source is indicated as Apple!
So the problem in my case could also be the Update rather than the OS.

I further note that before installing Calibri properly, I tested a MS doc with just one word, in Calibri, which failed.

Regards, Paul.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.