Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

It is almost 3 weeks that I’m trying to open a case without success.  I do have email and password registered and working but to open a case the site asks to run a second registration to the support portal.

I’ve tried SEVERAL times, with different emails and I NEVER get the confirmation email on which confirm the registration!!! Checked everything, spam and again different address. It NEVER send the confirmation and therefore I can’t open a case.....  Pretty ridiculous....

Of course I don’t want to spend hours on the phone with an operator to re-explain everything which would be pretty clear if just an HP support manager would be directed to read this forum thread....

HP Recommended
I opened up a ticket via the chat support and just said that I'm having a problem that is being discussed in this forum thread. The support rep reviewed the thread and said I needed to talk to Apple support...it was a waste of my time...
HP Recommended

I can verify that the problem is still there.  USB printing with M553 does only work for very few random documents - may be those created with 10.13 OS. Even test page printing fails with xshow-error. I have reinstalled printer from scratch with the latest driver from HP. I got a message that /Library/Extensions/hp_io_printerclassdriver_enabler.kext could not be installed during the installation - but HP Installer thought the installation went OK ...

The only solution seems to be to use the HP AirPrint driver.  Canon USB printing do work. So it is an HP issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I successfully opened a case with HP support. They now at least admit it's a known issue "... Known Issue - Will elevate to request FW update for this printer".

However, they closed the case "since it's now moved into the team that develops drivers".

So it's clear that technical support is MBO'ed on closing cases, NOT on solving customer issues. I opened a new case, referring to the closed case. I'll wait until they get back to me, and if not satisfactory, I'll throw it on social media. This is just unbelievable...

HP Recommended

I don't have a HP account which would allow me to open cases, but I am a Apple Developer and so I could file a bug report there. It was marked a "duplicate" a while ago, which means that somebody has actively identified my report to match another existing bug report, which is a good sign. They also stated that the issue is "still under investigation".

Important detail: even if my bug report was considered a duplicate, Apple did not close it, and they promise to keep me informed about progress. However, secretive as Apple is, they do not disclose any details, and explicitly do not want to provide any timeline information.

At least, the problem is now recognized at both HP and Apple at the technical level - so there's hope...

HP Recommended

Just to make the information of the German discussion forum available to this thread:

Cf. https://h30492.www3.hp.com/t5/Drucker-und-AiO-Nutzung/Nach-Update-auf-OS-High-Sierra-10-13-Fehlermel...

A contributor mentioned that for the  PageWide Enterprise Color 765 there is a Firmware Update to fix the problem. Actually, the FW update dated December 18, 2017 says in the ReadMe document that it fixes

• When printing from Mac OSX High Sierra, error "undefinedresult, OFFENDING COMMAND" is seen.

Unfortunately, the person with the PageWide Enterprise Color 765 did not report whether the fix worked or not. 

Anybody here with a PageWide Enterprise Color 765 and the latest firmware? Does it work?

(We still wait for a corresponding update for our M551.)

HP Recommended

See my former post. I opened a new case with HP support (because they closed it, since they know it's a new driver that is needed...

And "it is Apple not collaborating. We at HP can't do anything to fix it if Apple doesn't want".

Workaround is to print as image (but that's not why I buy this kind of printer...).

Or downgrade the MacOS (which I don't want obviously).

Here's what they put in the 2nd (now closed) HP Support case:

"Called cu, explained that we currently do not have a solution for this issue

Recommended cu to use print as image, cu not satisfied.

Referred cu to apple and security updates for more and future information"

HP Recommended

https://discussions.apple.com/message/32805769#32805769

says 

Problem is fixed beta  10.13.3 (17D39a).

Anybody to confirm this?

Update of original post:

In the meantime contributors to the German HP forum found that the problem persists, unfortunately!

HP Recommended

This issue has been addressed in firmware for various HP printers (more updates to come).  When High Sierra was released, Apple changed the way they send certain font values to the printer.  This results in the offending command errors.

If your printer is running FutureSmart 4 Firmware, you can upgrade to FS 4.5.3 and the issue is resolved.  That covers the following printers:  E87660, E77830, E82560, E77660, E72535, E75160.

For remaining printers running FutureSmart 4 Firmware, you will need to upgrade to FS 4.5.4 which will be available in Feb (call HP and request firmware).

If your printer is running FutureSmart 3, you will need to upgrade to the upcoming FS 3.9.1 (Interim firmware release) which will be available at a later date (still to be determined).  Again, contact HP and they can provide you the firmware (you may need to request an escalation to L3 support).

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

After three sessions with an HP technician, who was unsuccessful on fixing the problem, the case I opened with HP regarding this problem has just been closed by them. No solution, explanation or date of future fix, absolutely nothing, just closed.

I have now contacted the vendor that I bought the printer from and suggested that ‘it was not fit for purpose’ as it did not work.

They agreed and have sent me an HP authorization to return the printer for a replacement. As I have no idea which HP printers work with High Sierra I will be getting a non-HP replacement.

A sad day as I have always been a loyal HP customer and bought several of their printers over the years. Not any more…

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.