Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I agree a fix from Apple would be best,,but in a corporate environment with thousands of users, we simply cannot wait

As far as the FutureSmart fix, that only works for printers that support it, older models do not have FutureSmart at all so again, printing has to work, and we cannot wait or assume there is a fix coming soon

As far as HP v Apple, everything was working fine till the High Sierra update, no changes were made to the HP files so this is more likely an issue with Cups and the way it is processing the font addressing.

Updating to 5.1 HP dmg makes no difference

As far as changing the files in /etc/cups/ppd , when you attempt to edit, select duplicate the file which drops it in  downloads , edit the file, change the name to same as original, drag and drop it into /etc/cups/ppd and REPLACE the original, it will ask you to enter your password etc. then its a done deal

HP Recommended

Hi JCecB!

I'd actuallu suggest You the simplest and quickest way to edit the .ppd file.

1) open Terminal program

2) at the prompt write: sudo vi /etc/cups/ppd/here write the name of ppd file to edit

3) enter Your password - since Your user have admin rights, You should be allowed to "sudo" (aka launch program as superuser or "root")

4) in vi program, search the right line by entering: /TTRast

5) no need to write whole word, so press enter for cursor to be put on the right line

6) now You need to move cursor to the beginning of word You want to delete (that is Type42), arrow keys work usually fine

7) delete the word by pressing letter "x" 6 times

😎 enter insertion mode by pressing "i" letter (btw, whenever in doubt, press escape and You'll be back in normal mode)

9) type None and press escape

10) type :x and press enter (commands in vi are entered after ":")

11) exit terminal by pressing simultaneously <ctrl> and D.

Now You should be fine - if something goes wrong while editing in vi, use following sequence: press escape, type :q! and  press enter, after which You'll be back at the prompt. Using "q!" to exit leaves the file unchanged and You can star over if You want.

Regards

Toomas

HP Recommended

Other than replacing Type42 for None, do I need to make any other changes?

*TTRasterizer: Type42 None
*?TTRasterizer: "
save
42 /FontType resourcestatus
{ pop pop (Type42)} {pop pop (None)} ifelse = flush
restore
"
*End

HP Recommended

I have heard from sources inside HP that they are working on a fix (FS3-update) that should be release in the next few days. This should work with M880, M775 as far as I understand.

I have not gone trough all 25 pages so I am sorry if this is old news.

Print Technician @ Intility AS
HP Recommended
The error 79 in my case appeared with a Mac 10.9.5 and a Hp LaserJet 1536DNF. It always worked perfectly, up until 3 days ago. Nothing has been updated, but all of a sudden it has stopped working. The procedure of the file "PPD" worked the first time, after restarting the printer and the Mac. Many thanks to the author of the guide! Greetings from Italy, Franco
HP Recommended

Hello to all,

244 messages later... and we are still in the dark as to an eventual solution by HP or Apple...

Does anyone have useful info?

Mark

HP Recommended

February has come and gone and no update to FutureSmart 3 for the M750 printer.

HP Recommended

Latest info I got (February 22)

(…) that the interim for FutureSmart 3 firmware would be available by late February 2018 to help provide a workaround for this issue.  This availability date has now moved out to mid-March 2018.

Print Technician @ Intility AS
HP Recommended

This all reminds me of the Sci-Fi show, the 'X-Files' and the show's poster with the UFO on it.

"I Want to Believe"

HP Recommended

Another symptom that I don't think has been mentioned yet...

I had a user come to me earlier today stating the a printer didn't even attempt to print his document. He sent me a copy of the PDF and I was able to test:

• Sent from High Sierra using Adobe Reader = printer does nothing. Not even an entry in the Job Log.
  • Sent from High Sierra using Preview = same undefinedresult error.
  • Sent from Sierra using Adobe Reader = same undefinedresult error.
  • Sent from Sierra using Preview = same undefinedresult error.

This was tested on M603's, M605's, M680's, and M880's. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.