Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
MFP M177fw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an HP MFP M177fw LaserJet Pro printer.  When printing from my iMac the "media types" that Apple programs show do not match what the HP printer offers.

Matter of fact in the HP set up screen on the "web" Paper Setup allows me to choose from the full line of HP Paper Products.  However under "Paper Types" in the set up the selections are only a few listed types rather than the same full line of HP Paper Products.

As I said, my Apple programs list different general paper types. use a work around by setting up a 3 tiered cross reference table.  Luckily I only print using "light" paper for most things, HP Glossy Brochure Paper for pictures and card stock for my golf league scorecards.   My HP printer is 6 1/2 years old but still going strong.  This problem is not really major.  Even when the printer and computer were both new the problem was there and I worked around it.

The other problem I have is that the HP wifi antennae can't receive a good signal from my new AT&T router.  Too many walls.  No problem because I just plugged the printer in using an ethernet cable directly to the iMac.  Works fine.  I can also print from my iPad or iPhone by selecting the printer wifi.

Rant Over.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following HP Easy Start to install the HP driver:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Once completing the installation process, check for additional paper options in addition to the options offered by AirPrint.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following HP Easy Start to install the HP driver:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip

Once completing the installation process, check for additional paper options in addition to the options offered by AirPrint.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I loaded the Easy Start on May 5th, 2020, but based on your suggestion, I just tried again.  The "Check Box" said that the “Essential Software” was up to date, but that Easy Scan was not.  I went ahead and reinstalled Essential Software anyway, but did not reinstall Easy Scan.

Lo and Behold it found that I was using the Apple AirPrint driver and asked me to change to the HP Driver.  It solved the problem.  All the HP paper products now show up in the Apple Programs.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.