Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I have an HP 8620 all in one for a couple of weeks now. I have a couple of proplems.

First is, I can't seem to get any updates. The process hangs untill I close it . Upon re-booting my CPU the next time I am greeted with this; Assertin Failed.PNG

Second, I just turned the printer off last night for the first time. This morning when I turned it on there is a message on the printers screen "unable to send or recieve fax's"

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @ron-e-g

I see by your post that you are getting a Microsoft Runtime error when trying to run updates. On the printer's display you are now getting the message "unable to send or receive fax's". I can help you with this, but I will need some more information to be able to provide the correct documentation.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

I have provided a document with some steps to try to see if that will resolve the issue for not being able to send or receive a fax. Cannot Send or Receive Faxes.

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help to resolve this issue quicker.

What type of connection do you have? (Analogue, DSL, Cable Modem)

Did the fax test pass?
Are you using the 2 wire fax cable?
Do you have distinctive ring set up on the line?
Is there any voice mail set up?
Do you have a answering machine? (Where is it connected to)
Where is the fax cable connected to? (modem, wall jack)
Is there a phone also connected the printer?

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank You for your responce Gemini02. I Run Win 7 Ultimate. I am connected to this printer both wireless, and eithernet (with another CPU).

I have a DSL 2wire (AT&T) modem connection.

What is (the)  2wire fax cable? I use no distinve ring or voice mail.

I do have an Answer/phone connected. I have a wall filter splitter, and connect the printers line in, (or 1-line to that. The printers line out, (or 2-EXT)  goes to the phone/answer machine.  Again, not sure what you refer to as Fax cable.

I also have a usb connected to the printer going to the Modem/Router. Both CPU's are connected to that Modem/Router.

The Fax passed all but the Fax Line Condition test. I did however confirm the fax does indeed send and recieve at the time of set-up. I have no reason to believe it has stopped.

I only saw the error type notice in the printers screen, after turning off the printer overnight for the first time.

I still cannot however get a normal printer update download and install.

I did this morning get a file to manually download from HP... FWUdateED02_2136_40758_NW_VR2.exe It didn' help the assertion failed problem.

I have no Idea what this is.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information ron-e-g.

The 2 wire fax cable, is the cable that goes from the printer to the modem or phone jack to receive faxes.

A 4 wire cable is for a phone line.

If you look at the end of the cable, you will see either 2 colored wires or 4.

From the document I provided on the previous post, there is a picture of the cables.

If you connect the phone to the phone jack on the printer, the printer to the splitter, do you get a dial tone?

When the phone is connected to the jack the printer was connected to, do you get a dial tone?

Since the Fax passed all but the Fax Line Condition test, there is still a issue with the connections.

It could very well be because you are using a splitter. I would contact the internet provider for a Analog Converter.

The HP LaserJet product is an analog device that is not compatible with all digital phone environments.
(unless a digital-to-analog converter is used) HP does not guarantee that the product will be compatible
with digital environments or digital-to-analog converters.

Run the firmware update by a USB connection. Connect the USB cable from the printer to the computer.

Hope this helps resolve your issue.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank You Gemini02 for your attempt to help me on this matter, It's much appreciated.

Ron

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.