handyman7468 Top Student
Top Student
6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

COLOR LASERJET M277

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

MFP boots up to jam in TRAY 2;  I have looked in service and troubleshooting manuals for where the sensor is located that trips this msg.   printer does squeal a little before error comes on LCD.  Any direction is appreciated...

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3,569 3,442 214 545
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

COLOR LASERJET M277

Sounds like there is a jam in tray 2, or the printer believes there is a jam due to something blocking one of the paper sensors.

Hit it with a can of condensed air and see if you can blow any crud out of the way.  Might want to remove teh toner catridge first and do this in a well ventilated area to avoid accidentally breathing in loose toner particles in the air.

If that doesnt work we should be able to look up a paper sensor test from teh service manual to help confirm which one teh printer is haveing a problem with.  From there either clean or swap the sensor to resovle the problem.

Squeeks/squeels are a red flag though.  That usually means something is rubbing on something that it shouldnt be.  Usually it a roller where rubber is rubbing against plastic.  However it could be a more internal component too.  Might be worth taking a good look at the pickup roller for Tray 2 and hit it with a wet lint free cloth.  make sure it can function correctly and purchase a roller kit to swap it out if you see any issues.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

0 Kudos
handyman7468 Top Student
Top Student
6 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

COLOR LASERJET M277

I took tray 2 out and flipped it on it's back.. Upon real close inspection of the paper feed guide assembly, I noticed broken pieces and the entire feed guide assembly was broken in 2 pieces, connected by 2 screws of course.  I tore back of it down and ordered new assembly!!!  thanks for feedback! 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation