Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear colleagues.

I have had a HP Color Laserjet 4650 printer here at home on my standalone for several years, and have been using it happily on my Windows 7 system via the usb port.

Just this last week, I had  cause to replace my PC with a Windows 10 system. I gave no thought to the possibility of any printer compatibility issues.

In a nutshell, I am not able to print out from the new computer to this printer. The PC seems to have recognised the printer because one can see it listed as a printer in the control panel.

When I send a print job to the printer though, although the "data light " flashes a few times, no printed job emerges, and "printer error" message appears.

I have tried in vain to  find out whether this admittedly old model is compatible with Windows 10.  On the other hand I am also conte mplating the possibility of some hardware or software malfunction here.

I would be sad to lose the printer because I have a good stock of cartridges .

If anyone can offer some advice or even suggest a workround of some kind please, I would be most appreciative.

With kind regards 

Ian

ps this must be my first post to this forum for about 17 years. LOL

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Best option is to purchase a Jetdirect 620N card and connect using the HP Universal Printer Driver. That way you do not have to deal with USB issues.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your kind advice about the above.

I am thinking of taking up your suggestion. 

Please bear with me I am not overly technical. 

Can you advise if I obtained that jetdirect card, would I just need to connect it directly to my PC or does there have to be some intermediate piece of equipment ? 

Also, what cable is necessary .

My PC is standalone (home PC and I am not on a network.

Also can you please advise : does my printiner definitely work with Windows 10?

Please forgive for the delay in replyi ng . I didnt receive email notification of your kind response.

HP Recommended

If your PC has a wired network connector you can certainly connect the printer and PC together directly. You will need to manually assign IP addresses to both the computer and the printer. If you get a 620N Jet Direct you will be able to use a standard network cable (https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=Cat+5+Cable) as it will automatically perform the crossover conversion needed when direct connecting two network devices without a switch. Older Jet Direct cards might require what is called a cross-over cable to network directly to your PC.

Your printer is supported by the current Universal Print Driver so yes this setup will work.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04324001

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Dear Sir

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful post.

I was going to mention that my setup includes broadband internet, which is connected via the phone line to a broadband router, which has four ethernet ports. One of the ports is connected to the Ethernet port on my PC.

Please do you know whether I can connect the jetdirect card to the broadband router just mentioned?  If so would I use the same kind of cable used for my internet (It is a yellow internet cable)

With many thanks and best wishes

Ian

HP Recommended

Yes connecting to the router would be the preferred method. You would use the same cable mentioned, being a Cat5 or Cat6 cable. Color does not matter, colors simply allow for organization in complex setups, 

HP Recommended

Dear Sir 

Thank you for that further helpful advice. I have ordered a jetdirect 620n card (ebay) which will be deliverred from China.

Once I have received the card, please may I ask for directions how to install the printer that way.

Best wishes

Ian

HP Recommended

If you check other posts of mine you will find several with instructions on installing a Standard TCP/IP printer using the UPD driver.

HP Recommended

Dear Sir 

Please be assured that I am going to do just that. I prefer to await until when I have brought my dilemna to a conclusion (having a working printer 4650 with  windows 10 ) first. After this I will provide the excellent posts with their kudos.

With kind regards

Ian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.