Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw (T6B60A)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I wanted to know if it is true that the HP Color LaserJet Pro M254dw prevents by firmware the usage of non original toner cartridges such as https://www.amazon.de/Schneider-Printware-Reichweite-kompatibel-Laserjet/dp/B07JM4SHWX/

My current HP laser jet CP 1215 accepts also non original toner cartridges.

Thanks and kind regards,

Herwig

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It depends on the firmware version, it's very likely that the newest firmware will prevent usage of non-genuine toners.

Also, some aftermarket toner cartridge manufacturers invest more in research and development and they produce toners that are recognised as the original.

It's not all in the printer, a major part is in toner itself how is it made, not all non-original toners are made the same, some of them are better quality some lower quality.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Cartridges that conform to required IP laws will work. That means that they must contain a chip that will clearly identify to customers that they are using a non-HP cartridge. Many budget refillers or remanufactures try to circumvent this and customers wind up with cartridges that do not work.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot dear Valsomot for your reply. Can you give me companies / manufactures which cartridges will work?

thanks and kind regards from a sunny Austria to sunny Croatia (where I am at least twice a year 🙂 ),

Herwig

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot dear Repairtrooper for your reply. Can you give me concrete companies / manufactures names which cartridges will work?

HP Recommended

Wish I could help you more but really don't know what aftermarket manufacturers produce toners that will work 100%.

Avoid buying cheapest toners, that probably will not work.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Dear Valsimot, thank you anyway for your help and best wishes to sunny Croatia!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.