Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently my printer stopped printing in color when sending documents from the PC. Will print in color using a mobile device. I uninstalled and reinstalled printer and software several times. Last time I used it was finally able to print in color, now cannot again. Also no longer does the automatic duplexing. When I look under my printer on computer it says color but does not print in color. Very frustrated and now don't know what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SGIBBSFL, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Is the printer connected wirelessly?

Have you tried connecting the printer using a USB cable and check if the issue persists?

This seems like a print driver compatibility issue. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Check for any pending Windows update on the PC. Reboot the PC.

Try printing in color.

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing.

Alternatively, use HP Smart app to print

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SGIBBSFL, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Is the printer connected wirelessly?

Have you tried connecting the printer using a USB cable and check if the issue persists?

This seems like a print driver compatibility issue. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Check for any pending Windows update on the PC. Reboot the PC.

Try printing in color.

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing.

Alternatively, use HP Smart app to print

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, ended up removing and reinstalling for the upteenth time but this time reinstalled  using an usb rather than wireless. So far is working- hope it continues to work. Many times thought it was fixed only to find it not working the next time. Crossing my fingers! 

HP Recommended

@SGIBBSFL

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I am having the exact same issue.

I haven't tried installing from USB yet as the printer and PC are not close to each other but just wanted to check if you had switched back to wireless and still finding that it is working correctly?

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Did not switch back to wireless. Tried several times wireless and did not work so am afraid to do that and have to uninstall and reinstall again.

HP Recommended

Yes same experience here.  Reinstall drivers etc and it works...once....then next day stuck in B&W.

Thanks for answering my query.

HP Recommended

@Robkr if you've followed all the steps done by the Original Poster (OP), including installing a full feature driver from HP or if thats not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2igKeU1

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

And Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.