04-22-2019 09:49 AM
Cannot print in color from my HP Chromebook to my Color Laser Jet Pro M254dw via USB (and it has to be via USB). I'll select the color option but the pages still come out in b&w.
I have checked for updates via the printer, updated Chrome OS, and removed and readded the printer. Ink is full, can print test pages from the printer in color.
Any other suggestions?
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-23-2019 11:38 AM
Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!
- Have you tried printing different documents? Do you face the same issue?
Let's try using the Print Dialogue box instead of directly printing.
- Open the document to be printed
- From the PC, press the key combo "shift+control(ctrl)+'P'"
- A dialogue box opens.
- Select the Printer and click on print
- Check if this prints in color
Let me know if this information helps.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.
I am an HP Employee
04-23-2019 01:01 PM - edited 04-23-2019 01:01 PM
Hi there, thanks for the reply-
1. I have tried printing the same file from my Mac via USB and it prints fine in color.
2. I am using Chrome OS, not a Windows machine. But when I use the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + P) and print the entire screen, it still prints in b&w.
It's odd, because when I bring up the print option, it comes up as b&w as the first option. When I choose color, the print preview shows the document in color, but it still prints in b&w.
As an aside, the printer uses USB A and the Chromebook uses USB C, so I either have to connect via a dongle or through a dock—possible that this could be the issue?
04-23-2019 03:01 PM
Let's try installing the "HP Print for Chrome" plugin.
- Open the Chrome browser, and then go to HP Print for Chrome
- HP Print for Chrome app window opens.
Click ADD TO CHROME, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
The HP Print for Chrome window opens.
Close the window, and then continue.
From the Chrome browser, open the document or image you want to print.
Click the Print icon.
The Print window opens.
Under Destination, click the Change button.
The Select a destination window opens.
Under Print Destinations, select your printer.
Change any print settings if necessary, and then click Print.
Let me know if this works.
I am an HP Employee