Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Question for you.  If none of the forum suggesitons fix a problem, does it ever get elevated to HP techs for resolution?  i can try the Win 7 suggestion and the Win 10 Dot4 suggestion an infinite number of times with teh same failure each time.  

HP Recommended

Here's how I worked around this for a HP 3600n printer driver on a Windows 10 64-bit  laptop.  (The printer is on the network.)

I followed this link:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=500898&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=2100

to the HP support site for the 3600dn, opened up the Windows Vista option, and downloaded the driver installer "HP_CLJ3600_64bit_HB.exe"   (14.4MB).

Running "HP_CLJ3600_64bit_HB.exe" simply unzipped the driver (including the .inf file) into a local folder.

I then went through the "Add a printer" steps, manually creating a local TCP/IP port, and when prompted for the driver clicked "Have disk" and browsed to the local folder with the .inf file  (don't you love it that Windows 10 still defaults to the A:\ drive :-).   It then offered HP 3600 as an option.

So far all I've done is printed the test page, but at least that worked.

I'm not associated with HP.   Good luck, everyone.

HP Recommended

Hey all,

I know that this seems to be a little outdated and all but hope this helps.

Since Windows 10 is all shiney it still works on the Windows 7 base, so I got my printer (HP Color Laserjet 3600) to work by going to the driver page for the printer and changing my OS from Windows 10 to Windows 7. This gave me a software package to download   (HP_CLJ_3600_installer_WW.exe).

Once unzipped, I followed the prompts to install the driver and once in set up it asked if I wanted to setup a TCP/IP driver, I entered the adress of the printer (192.168.x.xx). After setup it asked me if I wanted to print a test page, I chose yes and then selected to finish

This caused a user error in the printer, which I shut down and then restarted. I downloaded a test print page from google and then printed no problem..

I have printed numerous things now and it works great (Except I need a new Fuser).

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with installing the HP Color Laser 3600 printer on a Windows 10 laptop. After I downloaded and installed the full Windows 7 package, I did a restart. The printer still wasn't installed properly so I right-clicked on the generic device icon for the printer and performed a manual install of the driver, which presented itself as an option when I did that. Or you may have to left-click on Properties...anyway, a manual install is possible.

HP Recommended

Tim112233, thank you!  One additional bit of instructions for the totally uninformed ... Your .inf file (that you need to input as "have disk") is located in C:\Hp CLJ3600 Driver, because that's where HP_CLJ3600_64bit_HB_exe extracts it to. For the TCP/IP port, I input the printer's IP address.  Sure enough, it offered me HP Color LaserJet 3600.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.