Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print PDFs.  This problem occurred over a weekend.  Printing fine on Friday but not on Monday.  HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw.  I have followed directions to uninstall Adobe Acrobat and reinstall. uninstalled printer and reinstalled, updated the  printer driver, rebooted both computer and printer,  spent two sessions of 1 hour each on hold with HP support, (they disconnect me after 1 hour and thank me for my patience).  tried HP chat, reached dead end with no solution, used Print Dr troubleshooting, no results.  Please help, and refrain from instructions for Mac at this time. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JanJaw 

Disclaimer

Everything I know about Laser Printers fits inside a thimble. 

Sometimes I get lucky (and the advice is "right on"); other times, no-so-much...

If you have not done so, consider updating the printer Firmware

Not sure about laser printers -

Inkjet printers and their software requires that you have installed Adobe Reader DC

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Learn & Support

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Learn & Support

After loading paper into the printer, modify / retain the paper size settings

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

On the printer control panel, Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Set the Preferences - Windows

Make sure you have selected tabs / settings for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size in your printer settings.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), duplex, other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

Reminders: 

• Check Orientation settings
  • Remember to check the settings under each Tab in Preferences
  • Pay attention – not all Media (kind of paper) or paper sizes support Duplex

Test

Open a PDF file in Adobe Reader DC 

Set the main print menu options, including any "two-sided" / duplex settings.

Check / verify shortcut selection in Properties

Print at least two pages of the file to test.

General Example - Adobe Reader DC Print Menu / Setup

References

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Lots of documents, including...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms or "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Additional "How-to" procedures

Search for additional solutions...

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Tried every one of the steps that you mention at one point of my day or another.  I did solve my problem.  After updating drivers, reloading Acrobat, and the full list, I eventually uninstalled my printer again and used the old original disk that came with it to reinstall.  This took me to some installation questions that I had not been asked previously and updates that were not offered to me previously.  It took longer and appeared to be taking serious action.  It worked.  Up and running again.  Able to print PDFs.  Thank you for your time and suggestions.

HP Recommended

@JanJaw 

Excellent.  It is true that removing and reinstalling the software is sometimes the best solution and I am glad it worked in this instance.   In particular, during every installation, certain calls are made to libraries and other structures (file) already in the File System - if the links to any of these structures (files) break, if the data fails to read / write, or use the information correctly, the overall installation can appear to be fine - and (yet) there are tiny cracks in the foundation.  (No emails, please, I realize this is a poor analogy .. old and retired is my only excuse.)

Interesting that using the CD worked -  its use would possibly isolate or reroute certain paths during installation.   (OK, it is interesting to at least myself.  Smiling.)

Happy Printing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.