Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw (7KW64A)
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello,

I have reached HULK anger level on this one.  Please help.

Out of the box HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw refuses to allow me to select BEST printing option under print quality.  As soon as I select best, it slides right back to normal (see attached gif).

Here's what I have tried:

• Updated OS to 10.15.4
  • Updated to latest firmware: 20200324
  • Uninstalled printer
  • Restarted Computer (after each uninstall/reinstall)
  • Reinstalled printer via HP Smart 4.6.1
  • Reinstalled printer via system preferences (can only choose Airprint driver- HP Printer model only listed as FAX when I try to select manually- I tried that one as well)
  • Reinstalled printer via USB
  • Reinstalled printer via wifi
  • Tried different paper options
  • Tried printing with different programs
  • Tried printing different pictures
  • Tried different presets
  • Tried to change the presets
  • Printer is plugged directly into wall

What am I missing?  Thank you in advance for any advice/guidance.

No Best.gif

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Make sure the latest printer firmware is installed by following below utility:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/Consumer/M255dw/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M255dw_20200324.dmg

Restart both the Mac and the printer and check if you may see any difference now.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have already tried updating the firmware but forget to put that in my post.  I just updated my post to show the current firmware and attempted fix.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

This printer model does not support "Best". 

It's expected behavior that is snaps back when selected.

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
HP Recommended

That answer would make sense if I also wasn't able to choose best quality on a PC.  Since I'm able to choose best quality on a PC but not on a Mac, it leads me to believe there is an issue with the driver that HP released for the MAC.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.