Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I just receivevd my new Officejet 6500a Plus (e710n-z).  The status page is showing a f/w rev. of CIP1FN1110AR.  I did a search for updates on the printer itself and it says there are none.  I went to the 6500a Plus webpage on HP.com and find f/w CIP1FN1126AR (OJ6500_E710n-z_R1126A.exe).  This is obviously a newer version, right?!?  So I download it, and run it.  It runs just fine and even detects my printer.  However, the printer is grayed out and under STATUS says not applicable.

Can anyone help with this?!?

Thanks!!

Sean

I am employed by HP

*** If my post helped you...click the KUDOS on the left to say THANKS! ***
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!  I finally got the firmware updated!!!  Sometimes ya gotta think outside the box!!!!  I'm an HP field tech and normally we can't just click an .EXE to update firmware.  So that what got me thinking about extracting the .EXE (see previous post).  Then I thought about updating via USB, the same way we do non-networked Laserjet printers and it worked!!!

So what you have to do is extract out the .ful file from the update package (OJ6500_E710n-z_R1206A.exe), I used 7zip to do that.  Then rename it and put it in the root of C:  I just renamed mine to fw.ful, short and sweet.

Next, you have to share the printer, make the name short and sweet.  I called mine Officejet.

Then I went to an elevated command prompt (not sure if it was necessary but just in case) and copied the firmware file over.  Here is the command I used

copy /b c:\fw.ful \\your computername\printer sharename

My printer is now running firmware version 1206!!!  Not sure why this wouldn't run and update like its supposed to but atleast now we have a way to do it.  Hopefully everyone else can get this going on their printer.

I am employed by HP

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue. My firm ware version is CIP1FN1110AR. On HPs site the version is CIP1FN1126AR. When I download it, and install the installer recognizes my printer but the checkbox is grayed out. Also if I try to update the firmware from the printer touch screen panel, it simply says"no Updates available". Here are the details. Can anyone help?

Product Name HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z Product Model Number CN558A Product Serial Number [Personal Information Removed] Firmware Version CIP1FN1110AR

HP Recommended

I too have this problem.  Apparently HP does not bother to read this forum or they might have responded by now.  I suppose contacting Customer Support is one way to get an answer, or not.  I really hate to contact them because they ...

HP Recommended

I purchased the basic 6500A version today and I have this problem too! Anyone have a fix for this issue?

Cheers'

Martyn

HP Recommended
I have the exact same problem. I purchased the printer today, brand new. I'm with the curtomer service from HP since 90 minutes and they have no answer. "It's suppose to work", "You have to install the new firmware", But my computer doesn't want to install the new firmware (he recognize my printer but the button is gray and I can't click "upgrade"...
HP Recommended

Use the Technical Support to get help.

HP Recommended

Hi

Download and run the following firmware upgrade.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-89912-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.  Same problem as my very original post in this thread.  It detects the printer but the printer stays grayed out and won't let me upgrade the firmware.  When I try to run the upgrade via the printer itself, it comes back and says no upgrade available, when clearly there is.

I have tried running the upgrade over a wired connection, a wireless connection and the USB connection.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Hi Talon4x4,

Can you try running the updated firmware from a different computer?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I've tried from both my personal PC and my work laptop.  And I just reimaged both of these machines this past weekend and tried the firmware update after and it still wouldn't work. 

BTW: I am also an HP employee, a field tech in NY.

I am employed by HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.