Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anybody have a useful suggestion about how to find a place to service my Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw?  I've had it for about three years now, and been happy with it until recently when it started printing cloudy smudges down the left hand side of each page.  Neither changing the toner cartridges nor running "Cleaning Page" helped.  My research into this problem on the net suggests that the problem is the fuser is either damaged or dirty and needs to be cleaned or replaced.  On this printer the fuser appears to  be secured deep inside the machine where I cannot get at it, so this appears to be a job for a professional.

That is proving surprisingly hard to find.  I have looked at the hp web page that lists so called "Authorized Service Providers," (ASPs).  I tried calling a couple.  They cannot help me.  The places I called are in the business of providing rather specialized  services to other businesses.  They include HP products in what they provide, so they so have a relationship with HP, but they don't service a consumer like me who walks in with his equipment looking for repairs.

I tried calling some third-party local computer repair shops, but they said they don't do printers, and suggested that the cost of the repair would exceed the value of the printer anyway, so why not just buy a new one.  That seems crazy to me.

So, my question is:  How do I find somebody who will work on my printer, so I can get this fixed?  I'd be grateful for any helpful suggestions.

Thanks for your attention,

John

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@John_Bigelow 

Simple little ink-jet printers might be able to be repaired at the local office supply store.  I think Staples used to do this.  Frys (another US) Electronics store might be able to fix the printer.  I cannot address whether either of these fix laser printers or whether trusting them with your personal printer is a good idea.  At the least, they might have some contact information to share about where to look.  ??

Have you tried opening a case with HP Support?

Printers are essentially big dump computers that print stuff on paper - HP Support may be able to repair your nice printer at one of their repair depots (here in the USA).

If the device is out-of-warranty, the service won't be free:  Make sure you mention when you open the online case that you are willing to pay for service.

Assuming HP can (does) this type of repair on your printer model and in your region, it might be worth finding out what it costs.  Repair is slower this way than dragging the printer directly into the repair store, of course - there is "ship it here" and "ship it there" in between the actual repair time.  If you cannot "wait a minute" (and some of us cannot live without a printer), consider purchasing a little budget printer to "get by" for a few days.  Most printers can be donated to willing churches, schools, other charitable organizations; the little printer would have a home later.

HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information

Reminders

• Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).

• Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.  In the event that Chat is not available in your region:  Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)

• HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

• HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.

• If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided:  Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.  

• HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal

1. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Option - HP Support is on Facebook!

HP on Facebook

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

From HP > CAUTION

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reference

Service Centers

• Find Authorized support providers - USA
    • If necessary, change “Current country” location to your region.
    • To “get close”, click on the map – better information is provided when you use a Zip Code or City

Need or want more information?  Search for additional solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fnw

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.