Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28w Printer
Chrome OS

Using HP Smart with a smartphone it could not find the printer but after selecting "WIFI Direct printers" it finds it but then entering my WIFI key it just says "Cannot connect". This same key connects other devices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mdbeing, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

That is because wifi direct password is different from your wireless network password.

The default wifi direct password is 12345678. For more info on wifi direct, refer to - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct. In this method, there will be no internet access on the mobile device.

Wifi direct is used only if you do not have access to a router. To know how to connect the printer to a wireless router using WPS method, refer to this document. 

You have mentioned you are using a smartphone. Is it Android or iOS?

Are you using a Chromebook to print? If so, refer to this document. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@mdbeing, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

That is because wifi direct password is different from your wireless network password.

The default wifi direct password is 12345678. For more info on wifi direct, refer to - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct. In this method, there will be no internet access on the mobile device.

Wifi direct is used only if you do not have access to a router. To know how to connect the printer to a wireless router using WPS method, refer to this document. 

You have mentioned you are using a smartphone. Is it Android or iOS?

Are you using a Chromebook to print? If so, refer to this document. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.