Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm trying to update my printer's firmware on my (Windows 10 Pro RedStone4) but it always gives me the error "HP Device Update cannot proceed" about 3 seconds after clicking the "Update" button. Knowing that my printer is correctly installed and I always print on the same laptop where I'm trying to update the firmware, and the printer drivers are up to date from Microsoft.

Then, I made a fresh install of an up to date WIndows 7 SP1 and installed the printer using the drivers supplied from on your site, version 15.0.16259.1230, then tried to update the firmware but it gave me the same error after about 3 seconds too, knowing that this time I have no other printers installed in the system.

I tried resetting the printer to default settings and it didn't work too, then I made an NVRAM reset to no avail.

Please Help!

Kind Regards,

Tarek Y.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Log into the embedded web server of the printer and make sure that the option to block all firmware updates is not turned on. Likely under security settings.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

This printer model doesn't have the security setting you mentioned. I attached a screenshot of the web server where there are no related security settings.

Kind Regards,

Tarek Y.

Security.png

HP Recommended

Hi,

After days of research and trial, I've concluded that the update files have a problem.

I edited the following file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177 PCLmS\test.ini

The last line should be:

1=20180208

Instead of:

1=20180130

Then,  if you run the updater, it will show your printer and make the upgrade successfully.

Well, don't be so happy, as your printer will still show the firmawre datecode to be 20180130.

Any help now from an official HP support personel?

Kind Regards,

Tarek Y.

HP Recommended

I suggest that you contact technical support directly at this point. This board is community based and actual tech support requires contacting them. If in North America the phone number is 1-800 HP Invent

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Do they have a support email or help desk?

I can't reach out to them by phone as where I live we don't have a local phone number to contact them.

Thanks,

Tarek Y.

HP Recommended

Hi

If you figure it out plase let me know

also struggled with this

HP Recommended

I will, Pncoffice!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.