Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer stopped working.  I uninstalled and reinstalled using print & scan doctor, but keep getting directed to the HP Smart page to activate.  There is nothing on the page to be able to activate.  If i close the window, i get a message to say setup will not be complete

My printer status is ready but if i try to print something i keep getting an error message.  (no error code)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

How are you connecting to the device, USB or networking. It is possible that if you are using USB the connection has corrupted and the best fix for that is to disconnect the printer and then delete the printer from the Windows Device Manager. On your PC search for device manager and once it opens you will see a screen like below. The device may show under printers or you may have to click view>show hidden devices to see the printer. Right click on the device and select uninstall. Once you have deleted it here, restart your computer and try to do a standard install again.

device manager.JPG

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi  Thanks for the reply.  I have tried it many times.  The printer is installed and i can do an internal print from the printer.  I have run the print and scan doctor and when i test the printer i get a message to say it is installed and every thing is ok.  It tells me there is a problem with my software that cannot be fixed with that tool and i need to remove the software and reinstall.  i do this and just end up in the same place!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.