Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M426fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Afternoon,

Yes I know that the MFP M426fdw can print on card stock, my question is for how long? I print menus daily on card stock so it will go through a lot of use, I'm just curious how long the printer will withstand 100 pages a day before it burns out? I know it will happen eventually, they always do but are we thinking months or years?

Thanks in advance!

JMarsiglia

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There are a couple of factors. Based on our field experience we tell customers buying a M426 level product that the normal expected life is around 100,000 pages before the fuser will likely fail. Keep in mind these figures are based on a company history of over 25 years and we keep records of everything. The biggest factors that will shorten the life is not necessarily that you are printing card stock, but if the media is narrower than standard 8.5 wide paper. Narrower media will cause the edges of the fuser to over heat and this accelerates failure of the fuser. Yes the printers will slow down to adjust but that is not 100% accurate.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

So as long as the paper is the normal width, it should print another 75,000 (I've got 25,000 on my counter) pages on card stock?

I was under the impression (honestly not sure where I heard this) the mechanism that loads the paper can't handle picking up the heavier weight so thats why the printers burn out quicker.

If correct, this makes me happy because laser jet toner is so much cheaper than the ink jet i'm currently using.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, give or take, the fuser should last around that long. The main part that will wear out sooner and often will be the pickup/feed rollers as they have direct contact with the paper/media and wear out quickly. You'll notice paper misfeeds or jams as they become worn and slick. That being said, the rollers are easily replaced, and the fuser is also replaceable by a tech if necessary as it requires a bit of printer disassembly to replace, but isn't terribly difficult.

You don't need to worry much about the mechanism that loads the paper as it is really pretty durable and I've not seen many issues with any model printer where they fail except after years of use or some unusual occurrence. As long as your paper is within the printer specifications, it should work well, but I've had some customers have issues sometimes with print quality on card stock where the card stock was not designed for use in laser printers or they exceeded the paper spec of the printer. But, if yours is working well now, you should be good.

Link for paper specs for your printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04813259

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.