Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I want to change HP1102w from wired to wireless printing so I can print from the following: iMac OS X 10.11.6, MacBook Pro running Catalina, and from iPhone 7 and iPad Pro. Printer is 7 years old, working fine. Can this change be done? I have watched video: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02847467. Is this the correct set of instructions to use? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You will need a USB cable to set up wi-fi on your printer using a MacBook first, just like video shows, later when the printer is wirelessly connected you can connect other devices.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You will need a USB cable to set up wi-fi on your printer using a MacBook first, just like video shows, later when the printer is wirelessly connected you can connect other devices.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help - this worked. However it created two copies of the printer name in  "Printers & Scanners". Their names are "HP LaserJet Professional P1100w, 6.9" and "Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet Professional P1102w-AirPrint". I can print from either using my iMac OSX 10.11.6 or MacBook Pro OS X 10.15.2.  The AirPrint version lets me print duplex on the HP, the other does not. Why does this happen?

I can also print from iPhone 7 and iPad Pro, but duplex option is not available from either of them. 

When I started the install, I still had the USB version on the iMac. Should I have deleted it first? Should I do a reinstall but delete all HP printers first?

Thanks,

Rio20

HP Recommended

Removing the "old" printer should be the first step. The P1102W doesn't have an automatic duplex, so I assume the air print device is capable of the manual duplex. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi again Valsimot, Thanks for this tip. I deleted both versions of the HP printer from the MacBook and the iMac. Then I followed the video again to do a reinstall. However, I was not asked if I wanted to install the software so I continued with the installation. The blue wireless light was already lit on the printer so apparently it was still programmed for wireless. After finishing the installation, I now have one HP printer in the printer list. But when trying to print a document, in the Layout option for the printer, "two sided" is still grayed out. When the printer was running on USB, I had a workaround for duplex printing. After printing one side I reinserted the paper without changing its orientation then opened the output bin lid and closed it. That started the printing of the second side. (This was an HP workaround which I learned about years ago).

So, how can I get duplex printing back again? Printing from iPhone and iPad works fine for single sided. Double sided is not supported by those devices.

Looking forward to your expert reply!

Rio20

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 12.11.43 PM.png

HP Recommended

Not a MAC expert, but found some information on the internet where the user has the same problem, apparently that happens more often, and the fix was installing an older version of the print driver. 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/two-sided-printing-option-grayed-out-in-layout-drop-down-of-can... 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. There are a lot of suggestions which I will have to check out. I do note that they run from 2010 to 2018 so this issue has been around for a while. I will let you know what I learn.

HP Recommended

I finally have a workable method for printing two-sided on an HP LaserJetP1102w.

When printing a Microsoft Word document with an even number of pages:

1. In the “Print” dropdown menu select “Paper Handling”
  2. Set “Pages to Print” to “Odd only” and “Paper Order” to “Automatic” or “Normal”
  3. Click “Print”
  4. Remove printed pages from output tray and rotate the stack in a horizontal plane 180 degrees. Do not flip the stack over.
  5. Insert stack into printer
  6. In the “Print” dropdown menu select “Paper Handling”
  7. Set “Pages to Print” to “Even only” and “Paper Order” to “Reverse”
  8. Click “Print”

When printing a Microsoft Word document with an odd number of pages:

1. Add a blank page at the end of the document. Save the document.
  2. Follow the steps above for printing an even number of pages.

When  printing a pdf document or a web page with an odd number of pages, the above method does not work. I converted an odd-numbered pdf to Word using ABBY FineReader Express, saved it as a Word document, added a blank page, and proceeded as above. It printed correctly. If the document has graphics, photos, etc., the conversion may not be worth doing. Printing single-sided may be a better option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.