Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When printing color and nothing else on the circuit other than the computer, the circuit breaker trips. OK when B & W

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Lets start over because we have muddied the waters too much

The facts as I understand:

1. the printer is plugged directly into an outlet

2. You also have your computer and related accessories plugged into a Belkin Surge strip.

the two above are on the same circuit. Anything else in the house on the same circuit? I have seen cases where completely different parts of the house are on the same breaker and you end up plugging in an air conditioner somewhere else but it is still on the same breaker.

So the question: Is it the main house breaker that blows or the breaker on the Belkin surge protector? That you have a not protected light on suggests that the belkin is failed or faulty.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

That would indicate you are very close to the maximum load that the circuit will support or your circuit breaker is failing. How many devices do you have running on the same circuit.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

What is "On" at the time:

1. Speakers

2. Modem

3.Monitor

4. Computer

Not on:

5.External hard drive (not plugged in computer)

6. Pencil sharpener

#s 1-6 are plugged into a Power strip. Red light on strip says "Not Protected"; Green light on strip says "Grounded". Wonder if the Power strip is faulty?

HP Recommended

Clarify, are you plugged into a surge protector or multi outlet strip? If so this is not recommended or supported, a surge protector is designed to shut off if it detects a large inrush of current which is exactly what happens when a laser printer turns on to print. Even small printers can draw 10 amps of current for a short duration. Printer needs to be plugged directly into a wall outlet.

HP Recommended

The Printer is not plugged into the Power strip. It has its own outlet but still on the same circuit as the power strip.

HP Recommended

Sorry, forgot to answer you question:

it is a Belkin Surge Protector

HP Recommended

Lets start over because we have muddied the waters too much

The facts as I understand:

1. the printer is plugged directly into an outlet

2. You also have your computer and related accessories plugged into a Belkin Surge strip.

the two above are on the same circuit. Anything else in the house on the same circuit? I have seen cases where completely different parts of the house are on the same breaker and you end up plugging in an air conditioner somewhere else but it is still on the same breaker.

So the question: Is it the main house breaker that blows or the breaker on the Belkin surge protector? That you have a not protected light on suggests that the belkin is failed or faulty.

HP Recommended

Yes, you are correct about the setup.

The only thing else on that circuit on at the time is a digital clock.

I suspect that an electrician should put in a 20 amp breaker and appropriate wiring for that area of the house.

A new surge protector is on the way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.