Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Printer Models/series
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello my name is ivanillozamu and i wanted to ask someone of you about these two Laser Jet Printer series. what is the difference from LaserJet M283fdw vs M428fdw? does anyone know or provide the series diffeence and benefits beofore my purchase please. I know that prices is one of the factors but I am not sure which would it be more beneficial for our use.  we use it for business used and personal used for kids school and more.....

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, the M283 is a color printer, the M428 is a Monochrome printer (black only), so I believe you might be wrong with the entire comparison in here, are you looking for monochrome or a color Laser printer?

There are many differences, the M283 is a consumer model so the service would be a repair if required, which the M428 as a Commercial model would be provided with an On-Site service.

The M428 supports two-sided scanning too, the M283 provides 2-sided printing only.

The print speed highly different among each other - up to 22 black PPM for M283, up to 40 Black PPM for the M428 printer.

But as said, let's start with what you are looking for -  a color or a monochrome printer?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you very much ShlomiL this is helpful 

and yes we are looking for a color printer and we love all the specs of the M283 series but it looks like everyone exhausted their inventory and we can not find it as the original price that was tag on this printer and now it looks like some folks are over pricing the printer. 

HP Recommended

I appreciated your respond ShlomiL and for your help on the feedback about the printer

HP Recommended

Hi,

The M428 would not be an option or your needs as you refer to a color printer, a more correct comparison would be the M283 vs. the M479 models, but there are price differences there, so for this price range I would say the M283 would be the only option for your needs.

The M428 is the same price due to its many advantages on other matters such as the print speed, but as a monochrome printer, I doubt this is appliable in any way for your needs.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

If you need color I would suggest you also look at the HP Pagewide. Do not equate these ink based products with standard inkjets. They are super fast and in a small office environment offer much better cost per page than laser. The caveat is you need to be printing (in my opinion as a technician) at least 30-50 pages per day with some pages being color. As good as they are they do not fare well in an environment that consists mostly of monochrome pages.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.