Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer is running on Windows 7 Professional and my printer is model # D110a.

My printer has been running just fine since I got it, but a few weeks ago my computer was infected with a virus that forced me to reformat and re-install everything. I've installed the necessary software from the installation CD that came with the printer, but when I try to connect my printer through the "Add Device" option on the setup menu, my computer fails to detect it even though the printer is on and physically plugged in through a USB cable.

Support please, I don't have the money to buy a new printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problem. Just glad you got it solved. Can you go ahead and mark this thread as solved to close it out? Thanks.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended
Do other USB devices get detected when you plug them in? have you tried connecting to another USB port? Do you have another USB cable to try?
*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
HP Recommended

Yes, I have tried other USB ports. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended
You can look in device manager and see if the device is being detected, but is just in a bad state. Go to the Windows start button and in the search box enter device manager and select it from the list. When it opens, you will see a list of device categories. go all the way to the bottom where" Universal Serial Bus Controllers" is and click on the plus to open it up. We're looking for any icons with a yellow warning symbol on them.
HP Recommended

Still nothing, what else you got?

HP Recommended
There is a file setupapi.dev.log in the Windows\inf folder you can zip it up and attach it here. it will contain info on devices that have been connected.

You should also try a factory reset on the printer. This should be an option in the control panel menus
HP Recommended

I found a text file called setupapi.dev, but no .log files. The text file is just one giant script and doesn't help me find out what's connected and what's not, and even if it did I'm not spending the next two days reading every single line of code to find out if it does.

I also did a factory reset on the printer, and still nothing.

HP Recommended
That should be it. You can attach it here in a zip and I'll be happy to look at it. The latest stuff will be at the bottom. and will have a date/time stamp. Something like this:

>>> [Device Install (UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices) - *VMnetAdapter8]
>>> Section start 2012/03/16 12:41:43.173
HP Recommended

Okay, so how do I attach a zip to a forum post?

HP Recommended
Select the reply button and there is an attachment button on that page below the message post
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.