Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Example: Laser Jet Pro MFP M479fdw

Hello, and thanks for your help! I'm a bit of a clutz at all this stuff and I can't find in the manual nor figure out how to make a copy of an 8 1/2" x 14" document on my printer. Can't even figure out where to put 14" paper and where to feed the document into (as it won't fit on the glass). My printer has an option for 14" printing, but after that, I'm lost. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ala, 70 years old in NH and baffled.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again, Tonerspills.

You're AMAZING!! I followed the instructions in both of your very much appreciated posts and guess what, SUCCESS!! all I can say is, thanks so much!! You are very much appreciated!!!

Alan, 70 years old in NH and still learning...thanks to you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi there. In order to copy a 14" document, you would need to run the original through the auto document feeder instead of laying it on the glass, and you could have 14" paper loaded into tray 1 (the bypass tray). You would need to set the paper size to 8.5" x 14" for tray 1. That will help ensure you don't have issues printing or copying to the correct size paper.

You can find the "User Guide" here User Guide 

Happy New year from AR to NH!

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Hello Tonerspills.

Thank you so much for your explanation of how to make copies using 8 1/2" x 14" paper. Your assistance is very much appreciated. I'm not quite sure how to insert the blank paper into tray 1 as that is where my cartridges go, but I will give it a try and see what happens.

Again, thanks VERY much!!

Alan  

HP Recommended

Believe it or not (I'm walking on air), this stumps a lot of folks. The Bypass tray (tray 1) and that toner door are the same. The door splits in half. Check around page 18 of the User Guide "Load paper into tray 1" (page 30 of the PDF).

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Hello again, Tonerspills.

You're AMAZING!! I followed the instructions in both of your very much appreciated posts and guess what, SUCCESS!! all I can say is, thanks so much!! You are very much appreciated!!!

Alan, 70 years old in NH and still learning...thanks to you!

HP Recommended

Hello again, hopefully, Tonerspills will see this.

Well, I thought I had the printing a 14" document onto 14" paper solved, it was looking very encouraging, but I ran into another slight problem. For whatever reason, the bottom maybe 2" of text on the 14" doc. does not appear on the 14" paper. I DID expand drawer #2, and also tried the drawer #1 with the 14" paper setting and all works well except neither option will give me the full document. I feel like such a dummy. Any more hints for me, please?

Thanks so much.

Alan in NH...a bit frustrated but making progress...😒

HP Recommended

When you are making the copy, load the document into the document feeder. When you push copy, you'll need to set the original size to 8.5x14. It will default as letter, so it's only copying 11" of the paper as it feeds through the document feeder.

Sounds like you have the paper size set correctly in the paper trays, or the printer would most likely jam.

HP Recommended

HELP...Tonerspills...are you still there?

Hello, Alan in NH here and you have most kindly been helping me to make 14" copies on my Lazer Jet Pro MFP M479fdw copier. Still, no success. I can now load the 14" paper in drawer 1and the original document feeds perfectly, thanks for that. Where I am confused is that I can find no option for 8 1/2" by 14" setting in the setup process. Here's what I do: 

I hit "copy"

I hit "selection"

After that there is no 8 1/2 x 14 option on my screen. If I go to "Automatically Select" I get either "Tray 1 any size.." or "Tray 2 Letter, 8 1/2 x 11" any type". There is no 8 1/2 x 14 option when I select tray 1.  The blank paper loads (14") perfectly but the last 2-3" of the text are missing when I try to copy a 14" original. 

I called last week HP and was told to select the "gear" symbol after "copy" and "selection" but that only offers me "2 sided" or Resize" and that gets me nowhere.  

I'm SO confused. You have been so kind and patient with me but I'm stuck. Is there any way I could please request a step by step method to this? I've tried everything and made good progress, but I'm not quite there yet. What AM I doing wrong??? Thank you SO much! Alan in NH

HP Recommended

I don't have that model in my office to see the exact screens that you are. It sounds like you are in the right spot. You are looking for settings for the original size. If you see an option for "Mixed" hit that. Mixed refers to scanning multiple size originals like bank mortgage paperwork which is 8.5x11 and 8.5x14". According to the user guide, those option should be in that" gear" icon.

HP Recommended

Tonerspills...You're the best!

Thanks again for your assistance and I am SO sorry to have imposed on your skill and time with my 14" copy problems. I just got off the phone with HP...a live person, who tried everything and could not resolve the issue. She called me back later and advised me that this is a glitch in this model printer that had not been reported before. She showed me a temporary fix which, while complicated, does the job until they design a repair of some sort. Staples' tech pros, to whom I also spoke, were no help (part of the $50 extended warranty). 

So, again, thank you for your efforts. You taught me how to load paper in the 1/2 drawer, how to feed the 14" documents and to use drawer#1 only for 14" copies. You were almost there and would have figured this out I'm sure if it wasn't for the program glitch. Thanks so much!!!  Alan in NH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.