Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

Hello - I have a m254dw. When I connect the printer to my wireless network, the direct wifi option keeps turning on by itself. I have to turn it off manually every couple of days. I notice the issue because it causes issues with the wireless router sitting next to the printer. 

Btw - this only happens if wireless is on. If wireless is off and the printer is connected by Ethernet then there is no problem and direct WiFi stays off. 

how can I keep direct WiFi off?

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Esieens

Welcome to the HP support community.

Perform a power reset

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds.
  5. Plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet and printer without any surge protector.
  6. Turn on the printer.

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thx.

Did all of the above - problem occurs every week or so. 

According to printer check, I have the latest firmware. 

HP Recommended

@Esieens

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Using the printer's IP, open EWS in a browser.  Under Networking, Wi-Fi Direct Setup (your EWS page could look diff from mine), is Wi-Fi Direct show as "Off" here?  If so and it still starts itself, set the switch to "On" and choose "Advanced" which will disable its connection features and changes its network setup.  That may work.

HP Recommended

Yes it is off in EWS and then turns itself on.

Ok sounds strange to turn it on but happy to try, what setting should I change under the Advanced option?

HP Recommended

There is no setting to change under Advanced.  The message is:

Note: When Advanced is selected as the Connection Method option, WiFi Direct connection features are disabled, the WiFi Direct name is changed and the printer can only be connected as an available wireless network which requires a password.

The HP note could be more clear for sure, but I take it that if the "connection features are disabled", that may prevent it from engaging unless on a separate wireless network.

The "Manual" setting (rather than Advanced) adds the requirement of an additional security step to invoke the function; that may also prevent Direct from coming up.

And, probably should be sure you don't have a user device (phone, laptop) with a Wi-Fi Direct printer set up.  At the least, remove the printer in that device while troubleshooting.

I just wanted to give you a few quick possibilities before you have to run the gauntlet with HP 2nd-level tech support.  🙂

HP Recommended

Happened again it seems in the middle of the night... woke up this morning and Wi-Fi direct is on. It has been off for over a year - I checked it daily. Is there a log I can access that would show how  it got turned on?
Thx

HP Recommended

Under EWS under the Home tab, there is an Event Log.  It displays a short description and a code.  I was able to find the codes in my Log with google.  I suspect these are only errors, though.

Also under Networking/Advanced there is a setup for configuring Syslog pointing to the IP and listening port on the server side running on your computer.   MacOS uses a syslog daemon which can be written to, as does Linux.  Windows of course has its own proprietary event logging.  That log can be written to on the Server edition, don't know about desktop.  But there are 3rd-party syslog apps (some free) which run on all platforms.

I'm doubtful about whether any controls at the router will help.  I don't know WiFi-Direct very well, but my understanding is that WD enabled devices created their own wireless access point in software making for peer-to-peer connections outside the router.  But since you indicated that the WD seems to affect the router, it might be worth looking at the router logs (you may be able to filter those logs and/or email them to yourself, makes for a lot easier reading).

Finally, I wonder if the problem might be coming from another device.  The printer has WD built into it, enabling it to act as a peer-to-peer host.  Maybe another device is trying to establish a WD connection.   WD is built into MacOS and Windows.  IIRC there is a way to enable and disable the WD service in the OS's.  

That's all I got.  Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.