cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: HP Printers - A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing (macOS) .
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Dirty Edges

HP Recommended
M402dw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Photo 2018-08-05, 3 43 09 PM.jpg

Hello I am experiencing dirty edges whenever I print. This occurs on the back of the paper at the bottom edges only.

So far I've tried:

- using the page cleaning service setting

- changing the print density

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
1,015 1,005 101 254
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi vivianrose,

I sounds like that your printer has spilled toner in it. You will have to clean it manually with a toner vacuum cleaner or special magnetic toner wipes. Remove the toner cartridge from the printer and try to clean the paper path as better as you can. Open the rear door as well. Remove the tray and check/clean the pickup rollers area as well.

I hope this may help,

Cheers!

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have no idea how to do this. Could you recommend a video?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
1,015 1,005 101 254
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you search in youtube.com for hp m402 cleaning, I am sure will find some videos showing how to remove some covers. Probably you will need to remove only toner cartridge and if pages are still dirty then try removing the fuser as well to gain better access in the printer's paper path.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also want to mention that when I first got this printer (about a month ago) the first few pages printed full black. Is this normal?

Before I go ahead and touch the insides of the printer I just wanted to make sure that it doesn't void the warranty.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
1,015 1,005 101 254
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you don't know how to do it or do not feel very confident, then I would suggest to take it to a technician. I don't think he will charge you much for such a service.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After a replacement printer and 2 new toners (all genuine HP brand, printer and 1 of the toners sent by HP) I am still experiencing the same issue. Perhaps its an unfixable problem. Its a minor issue for most people printing so may not even have noticed it. But since I am printing stationery designs to sell, I am paying alot of attention to the quality of the prints.

This issue also occurs when I'm printing white pages, which make me think the mechanism of the printer itself is incapable of printing without this issue.

I noticed that there is a sponge-like roller in the printer that has some ink on it. I'm guessing this thing helps the pages travel through the printer or something like that. Since the toner seems to be fine the sponge is the only thing that seems to carry ink residue on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SECOND replacement printer received. Same issue.

The previous customer service associate assured that this printer would be tested to make sure there are no issues. Not sure what to do at this point. I ordered a new printer (color laser jet this time) to see if it would have the same issue and to use until this one gets fixed somehow...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp_issues.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
1,015 1,005 101 254
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you plug the printer directly in a wall socket ?

If not, then I would suggest trying so.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation