Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M 454dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've read the threads that say you can't disable the paper size and I want to say that this error has been the bane of my existence since I purchased this printer.  I print only on 8.5 x 11" paper and still I receive this error far too frequently.  If your guides are overly sensitive, then that is a product default.  Is there a way to disable this setting?  I'm really tired of wasting time, paper and toner on this error.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There are no automatic tray detection for size settings on this series. You load the paper and then from the control panel you must input the size of paper you loaded. Using Any size option will often result in errors.

You state that you are getting size errors, can you elaborate on when this happens and what messages are coming up on the screen of the printer when this happens.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

The printer settings are set to 8.5" x 11" and I'm using 8.5" x 11" paper, but the printer refuses to recognize the paper about 10% of the time.  The screen message is something like wrong paper size loaded in tray, press okay to continue.  When you press okay, it puts you into a loop where it reprints the same page until you turn off the printer and restart it.  I print a lot and having to open the queue all the time to see what was printed, what I'll have to reprint because I need to restart the printer, and what I'll need to cancel is exhausting.  I feel that if the stupid printer weren't trying to be so smart in detecting (incorrectly) the paper size, I could just print my work and be done with it.  I really want to turn the detect page size feature off!  

HP Recommended

Check the condition of the pickup roller for tray 2. If it is dirty or worn it can mispick and cause a size error. You can also try loading tray 1 MP tray to see if that has the same issue

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

This is pointless.  The printer is 3 months old.  HP needs to just let us disable this feature or we'll look for other printer brands.  So frustrating!!!!  I feel like you are answering something other than the question asked. If it can't be disable, perhaps you should say that it can't be disabled to which I'd reply, "Fine.  No more HP printers for me, then."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.